Bad Guy Christopher Pratt (prattnc or prattnc@gmail.com) from Kansas - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #81
BeardedDragonStore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojira1986 View Post
I was mistaken then. I was told awhile ago that shipping USPS is not a legal means to ship reptiles. Still, without a definate next day delivery, I don't see how it is still legal. I don't believe knowingly shipping any reptile or animal that could leave them in a box for more than 24hours is humane. I'm sure other ppl feel different, but that is MHO.
And yes, the postal service may guarantee against death if delivery delays exist. However, alot of reptiles aren't going to show the effects of the prolonged shipping w no lights food or heating for a period of time afterwards.

I live in New Orleans. With all due respect to our local carrier, the USPS is completely unreliable here. I can have express packages show up at 8am through 7p at night. Temperatures can range from 40 to 90 during the fall here so it's incredibly dangerous for the animal especially if it is coming out of a cold place requiring heat packs to a warmer place where heat packs aren't required. Most of the people I have dealt with ship late afternoon via Fed Ex/UPS for delivery first thing in the morning so that the temp extremes are so well err... extreme. I do the same. I won't do it any other way regardless if I'm the buyer or seller.

But that's their choice. I just hope the man follows through on his word and Kai is made whole with a healthy happy animal.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #82
Lucille
Quote:
I was mistaken then. I was told awhile ago that shipping USPS is not a legal means to ship reptiles. Still, without a definate next day delivery, I don't see how it is still legal.

There is actually a specification in section 526 that allowable critters are able to reach their destination in good condition in normal transit time, the problem is the frequent lateness of delivery. However, I would think that were you to address the issue with USPS, they would reply that it is a quality control rather than a legal issue.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #83
Wolfy-hound
In my home area, USPS is more reliable than FedEx OR UPS. Over near my work, the opposite is true. You can get overnight shipping through USPS depending on your area(same as FedEx).

If the shipper ships correctly, the "lack of lights" etc should not be any more of a worry than if the box is labeled UPS or FedEx. Reptiles usually ship quite well when packed up correctly. I used to get fish that took 3 days or more through the USPS.

I hope the OP posts to let everyone know when/if they get a tracking number AND receives it.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #84
Gojira1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post
In my home area, USPS is more reliable than FedEx OR UPS. Over near my work, the opposite is true. You can get overnight shipping through USPS depending on your area(same as FedEx).

If the shipper ships correctly, the "lack of lights" etc should not be any more of a worry than if the box is labeled UPS or FedEx. Reptiles usually ship quite well when packed up correctly. I used to get fish that took 3 days or more through the USPS.

I hope the OP posts to let everyone know when/if they get a tracking number AND receives it.
Fish = completely different ball game from reptiles.

If the shipper fed the animal within 24 hours of packing it up, and the animal gets stuck in a dark box for 36 hours w out ample heat or UVB, the risk of impaction or decay of stomach or intestinal contents is a big deal. Pretty much all snakes and lizards need heat and uv to process and digest their food. 12-24 hours wout heat or uv is the max time you want to have most reptiles out of heat, and in most cases, uv as well. The theory they just go to sleep is bogus. Unless the animals being shipped have been properly fasted, they could have serious digestive complications from lack of heat or uv for prolonged periods. And yes, 36 hours is prolonged - my vet has shown me a bearded dragon that started showing the beginning signs of mbd and had a serious impaction from about 4 days wout light or heat that had not been fasted.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #85
Gojira1986
Quote:
Fish = completely different ball game from reptiles.

If the shipper fed the animal within 24 hours of packing it up, and the animal gets stuck in a dark box for 36 hours w out ample heat or UVB, the risk of impaction or decay of stomach or intestinal contents is a big deal. Pretty much all snakes and lizards need heat and uv to process and digest their food. 12-24 hours wout heat or uv is the max time you want to have most reptiles out of heat, and in most cases, uv as well. The theory they just go to sleep is bogus. Unless the animals being shipped have been properly fasted, they could have serious digestive complications from lack of heat or uv for prolonged periods. And yes, 36 hours is prolonged - my vet has shown me a bearded dragon that started showing the beginning signs of mbd and had a serious impaction from about 4 days wout light or heat that had not been fasted.
The bolded statement should read "and many need some form of uv to..."

Old 10-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #86
Clay Davenport
This is a BOI thread concerning Mr. Pratt, please take the discussion of acceptable shipping practices to the appropriate forum.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #87
Lucille
Quote:
my vet has shown me a bearded dragon that started showing the beginning signs of mbd and had a serious impaction from about 4 days wout light or heat that had not been fasted.
This might be an interesting off-BOI discussion, as I do not believe that symptoms would be detectable in 4 days.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #88
Lucille
Sorry Clay we posted at the same time.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #89
xPantherx
Alright, I am going to propose the following with Christopher - I've asked that he ship with FedEx, and once she arrives, I'll reimburse him the rest of the shipping cost.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #90
Gojira1986
You could always send a prepaid label Kai.. That wouldn't involve sending him
any more money.. If you need help preparing a prepaid label lemme know

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!