Flukers Crickets... Anyone had similar experiences. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-13-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
ragnew
Question Flukers Crickets... Anyone had similar experiences.

Hey,

About five months ago I ordered a supply of flukers crickets. About a week after they arrived, a bunch of my animals started showing signs of parastizim. I had several fecals done, and even a necropsy on one of my dead animals came back negative. The reason I'm post this is because I recently (about thirty minutes ago) had to euthanize all but four of my infected animals. I've heard that people were involved in a contest that ended with Flukers giving away several baby bearded dragons to lucky winners. I've heard that several of the dragons were exhibiting signs similar to those that my leopard geckos were showing (runny foul smelling feces, regurgitation, lethargy and eventually death). I'd like a bit more help if anyone else knows anything about this. Please reply. I must clarify, this isn't a bashing thread, but however it is one that should be taken seriously. Since this has happened I've learned alot of negative things about my previous supplier (flukers) and hope no-one else has to learn the same way I did. If anyone else has had a similar experience please let me know.

Thanks,
Richie

Old 10-13-2003, 05:43 PM   #2
Lynn
I may be wrong but the alot of the dragons had YELLOW FUNGUS. Check with CheriS. She has done alot of studies on this. I am sorry for your loss. I use ArmstrongCrickets. They are higher in price but I have used them for 8 years and NEVER had a problem with my dragons. (Knock on wood)

Old 10-13-2003, 08:27 PM   #3
ScottsReptiles
When I used to run a shop.. I bought only from Flukers... ordered about 50 to 70 thousand a week.. never had any troubles with them. Flukers always treated me well.

Old 10-13-2003, 10:56 PM   #4
ragnew
Thanks for the replies...

I do appreicate the replies... Lyn you said something about a Yellow Fungus, I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit on that for me... Thanks for the info too Scottsreptiles. I dont mean to say that Flukers is the sole cause of the problem, but I do however believe that they are one of the underlying compontents. Namely due to the fact that I've heard from so many unhappy ex-customers... Reptile / Exotics sellers here in Colorado fit into the ex-customers category as well. I think I'll try armstrongs crix, as Lyn brought up. I've just heard, and experienced too much to keep ordering from Flukers. Again, thanks to both of you I do appreciate it....

Richie

Old 10-13-2003, 11:06 PM   #5
Mark and Aimee
Maybe this is all coincidence... And it has nothing to do with anything. But here goes.

I noticed you are in Denver, and your name is Richie.

I bought 2 beardies at the spring herp show in Denver, from a guy named Rich.

One of the beardies never was quite "right". It died of unknown causes a few months later. I wrote it off as a birth defect - neurological problem.

I know... It has nothing to do with geckos, and probably nothing to do with parasites. Just weird.

FWIW, I order my crickets from reptilefood.com, who drop ships from Timberline Fisheries. Great stuff, never have any problems. Prices are good too.

Old 10-13-2003, 11:12 PM   #6
ragnew
Hi Mark and Aimee

Hi,

Hmmm, is pretty strange. But nope, that wasn't me. I was going to go to the show but since so many of the animals I was going to be selling came down ill I had to pull out.... I dont know how people can sell animals that are sick or not doing so well, would make me feel like a cheapscape.... Sorry for the loss of your beardie. Hope the other one continues to thrive...

Laters,
Richie

Old 10-14-2003, 01:37 AM   #7
CheriS
Many of the dragons that Fluker's gave away had heavy parasitic load when checked by vets immediately after arriving, most died and did not have a necropsy, some that did had what has commonly come to be called Yellow Fungus Disease, some also had and were diagnosed with adenovirus and coronavirus from necropsy or test.

Both diseases are actively being studied and researched by professionals since the increase in them has been so significant in the last few years.

We have never checked their crickets, but one of the researchers studying some of the viral infections feels that crickets may be a transfer vector for the virus. There is nothing definite on this at this time.

Did you happen to use any of their cricket feed products, like the water gel or cricket gel feed with these crickets you think might be a problem? A few years ago we had a mass die off of crickets (thousands) following using their water gel with calcium, I still have it here and its gone from a bright yellow to a clear gel...... very strange, I keep meaning to have it tested. After the dragon fiasco last year and the iguana problems a few years before that, we do not use any of their products or sites associated with them like the Repti-something sites.

IMO a company that has twice introduced infected or diseased animals to the US and owners existing colonies, with no comment on it or apology OR restitution to the owners, will not profit from me.

It was interesting hearing him discuss reptile websites and how worthless they were at the Tampa show after their dragon venture fell apart and that Site died, only to see he has opened up MANY site online the past year, the domains are not registered to him, but if you look them up and read the registrations you can figure it out pretty quick.

No, Howard did not know it was me talking with the owners of Armstrong Crickets when he came up and joined our conversation and stated that.... but then it was funny some staff of his was at the show the next day handing out brochures for one of his Repti Sites and plugging it.... when they did not even have a table at the show!!!

BTW: Armstrong Crickets were the sponsor of the show that FLukers was passing out their plug for one of their websites at the next day.....I guess more examples of good business practices and ethics to impress us....

Oh, and they are back selling bearded dragons to the Pet store chains again. Be careful!

Old 10-14-2003, 02:13 AM   #8
ragnew
Hi Cheri,

Thank you so much for all the info you just supplied. I was glad that you posted, since Lyn knew you had quite a bit of info on the Dragon issue.... I had a batch of Flukers Crickets completely and totally wipe out a whole baby colony and infect four of my breeding adult leopard geckos... I'm positive that this is the reason why my animals died, and I do believe that your post has clarified my thoughts completely. Flukers hasn't gotten a penny from me since. I actually got ahold of the President of the company and shared my feelings with him and he treated me as if I were an idiot to say the least. All of my baby leopard geckos (all my geckos for that matter) were from my own breeding projects. I took and still take pride in the animals I produce and would never introduce an animal that could possibly bring in a parasite that could devastate my collection. The only way for this infection or parasite to enter my colony would have been from my crickets. And thats what happened..... The president of fluker farms gave me the name and email address to the DVM that did the study on their crickets as well as three other suppliers.... After insisting that their crickets were not the source of my problem they recommended I talk to the vet that did the research. I did, and I also found out that the only parasite that was searched for in this effort were the lowly pinworms.... And for that parasite, they came back negative. All I can say is this.... Flukers was responsible for the mass infection in my Leopard Gecko Colony, and their crickets are infected with something much, much worse then the pinworms... I have my suspicions as to what it could be, but I'll leave it at this. Flukers will never, ever get another penny from me or anyone that I know... I love my animals way too much to risk another infection of any sort, and I'll never deal with a business that treats me more like a moron then a customer.

Thanks for the post Cheri, I appreciate it,
Richie

Old 10-14-2003, 07:57 AM   #9
meretseger
Does Fluker's supply beardies to pet stores or have they in the past? Just a question out of curiousity.

Erin Benner

Old 10-14-2003, 08:46 AM   #10
Lynn
Yes they did supply reptiles to pet stores. I am not sure if they still do.

Thanks Cheri for posting. I have been following your posts on different places. Thank you for all your hard work in the reptile industry. You have made it a better place for everyone. PLEASE keep up the great work. I wish everyones heart was in it like yours....Thanks again. You are awesome girlfriend.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!