My beardies have mouths open often, why? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
MaryAnn
My beardies have mouths open often, why?

This is my first time on this site, (or any site) and hoping I can get some answers to my questions. I am new to owning beardies, got my first one in July and 2nd one in Sept. They are young juveniles, very healthy, but have their mouths open a lot. They're not being aggressive (I don't think) but just lounge around with open mouths. I thought they might be thirsty, but don't want water when I spray them down. Is this normal? I appreciate your help!

Old 11-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

What are you measuring the temps in the tank with, a stick on type of thermometer or a digital probe or a temp gun?
When they open their mouths continuously, they could be theromoregulating, but if they are doing it too often, they could also be overheating.
The recommended basking temps are 95-110 & the cooler end should be around 78-82. The ambient temps should not exceed 80-85.
Are you housing them together? If they are different in sizes, I do not recommend housing together because of dominance factors.

Tracie

Old 11-16-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
Tim Cole
I second

what Tracie said. My first thoughts were they are thermoregulating. The temps that Tracie listed are correct.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
MaryAnn
Thank You Very Much for the info. I am using a couple of those stick-on thermometers, one on each end, and the temps on the basking end only get to about 98, but I did just put one of those under-the-tank heater pads under the aquarium about 2 weeks ago. I also put a thin piece of leather under the substrate so that they don't dig down & lay directly on the glass, hoping that it would cut down the risk of burns & overheating. It is on the same end as the basking lamp, so maybe that is too much heat for them. I will try moving the pad to the middle of the tank and see if that helps. It is a huge tank, so maybe that's what needs to be done.
The dragons are only a month apart in age, and they get along really well, so hopefully that's not the problem. It is a whole new experience caring for the little guys, but I'm loving every minute of it! I hope to be on this site alot. thanks again!

Old 11-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Oh ok! Yes, the stick on type will need to be replaced, as they are most likely getting too hot.
You will also need to unplug the undertank heater as well. They do not often sense heat from underneath before they get burned. So overhead heating is the best way to heat them up. Good job though on trying to protect them from burns. That is probably fine, the leather that is, but, most likely they are getting way too hot.
What type of basking light do you have & do you have a UVB as well?
You do realize that eventually, especially if they are both males, or a female & male they will need to be separated.
Let us know how they are both doing. Maybe try to get some oral fluids into them with a dropper.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!