Can anyone ID this species? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #1
Geckoflora
Can anyone ID this species?

Does anyone recognize the species?

This poor fellow was abandoned at the pet store where I work but no one knows what he is, and the closest looking match I could find is the sagebrush lizard but he doesn't have a blue belly.

Any ideas?

(Sorry if the picture is huge- I'm not sure how to shrink it)

Old 02-07-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
Vithaxton
Looks like an

Old 02-07-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
Vithaxton
Sorry for the ablove message! My finger slipped lol Anyways it looks like a swift. There’s often a ton of swift lizards kept at Petco and petsmart. Usually they’re suppose to have a green or blue belly if it’s an emerald swift but I’ve see brown ones all the time at pet stores. They’re pretty common and usually not the most tame lizard.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
snowgyre
It's a Sceloporus for sure, but without history species identification will be extremely difficult. You will have to use biological measurements (perhaps even including scale counts) to identify to species. I'm leaning towards eastern fence lizard (Sceloporus undulatus), which is actually native to Virginia and this individual could simply be wild caught. I do not recommend releasing this individual even if native, however, due to the potential of spreading parasites or diseases to novel areas. I would also check state laws in case sale or possession of native herpetofauna are prohibited. Photos of the full dorsal, belly, throat, and armpit in much better light (and image resized to not be gigantic) would aid in identification.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:18 AM   #5
Vithaxton
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
It's a Sceloporus for sure, but without history species identification will be extremely difficult. You will have to use biological measurements (perhaps even including scale counts) to identify to species. I'm leaning towards eastern fence lizard (Sceloporus undulatus), which is actually native to Virginia and this individual could simply be wild caught. I do not recommend releasing this individual even if native, however, due to the potential of spreading parasites or diseases to novel areas. I would also check state laws in case sale or possession of native herpetofauna are prohibited. Photos of the full dorsal, belly, throat, and armpit in much better light (and image resized to not be gigantic) would aid in identification.
What he said! Lol

Old 02-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
Herpervet
Looks like a curly tailed lizard. Leiocephalus carinatus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
snakeboy10
I think it's a curly tail

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Old 02-12-2018, 11:40 PM   #8
Geckoflora
Sorry for the late reply!

Curly tailed lizard seems to be a match (or at least closer than anything else). Thanks for the help!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!