need help with caging question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 04:50 AM   #1
will11780
need help with caging question

I just got my first ball python and think hes cool as could be even if he is a normal hes only bout 18 inches long and im the kind of person that always try to cage my reptiles in there adult enclosures i already had a cage thats four foot long two foot deep and two foot high the question i have is iif i keep him in this enclosure will it stress him out since its so big for him right now i dont want him stressed out but have read a few care sheets that say dont put them in a big enclosure like that to start with any advice would be great

Old 06-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
Matt2979
I would avoid that big cage until he's an adult. Even then, that's a BIG cage for an adult male BP. Most of my adult males are housed in 32 qt tubs which are only about 23" x 16.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Blazinmorphs
I don't think its the size of the enclosure as much as what's in the cage. If you fill the cage with places for him to hide so he feels safe I think he would do fine but that's just my opinion. The smaller the hide the better, they like to sqeeze into tight places. Make sure to feed him in a smaller encloser so its easier to find his prey. Give it a couple weeks and if you have problems with him eating then you need to go to a smaller cage.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
B&C Ball Pythons
That is pretty big for a ball python. I agree w/Scott. Should be ok if you have a few hides in the tank. I'd place one over his hotspot over the under tank heater and another on the cool side of the tank. Since it's so big, you could also add some artificial vines/plants in open areas so it won't feel as exposed.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
will11780
So far he seems to be enjoying ive got some half logs in it and some branches that he can hide under when out roaming around im not seeing any signs of stress he lets me reach in and get him without trying to strike at me he balls up but quickly unballs and will seem quite calm i hope this means that hes settling in and comfortable but will wait and see if eats wednesday thanks for the help all of you

Old 06-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
R. Eventide
I agree with Scott. As long as he has lots of places to hide, the large cage shouldn't be an issue. As long as he's eating, then I'd say you're good to go!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!