Albino x Albino - Different strains question.. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-05-2004, 10:10 PM   #1
MatthewK
Albino x Albino - Different strains question..

Ok, so if you breed tremper to bell, bell to rainwater, or rainwater to tremper you get what... double hets? Then when breeding the double hets you get 50% chance of producing each one? I have a friend who is a fair sized breeder, claiming they cancle each other out.. but I haven't done it- but I know some of you are currently or have before.

Thanks for any input...

Old 11-05-2004, 10:33 PM   #2
Blazin
Yep! Well I guess!

Quote:
so if you breed tremper to bell, bell to rainwater, or rainwater to tremper you get what... double hets? Then when breeding the double hets you get 50% chance of producing each one?
You do get double hets and then like you said you technically should hatch out 50/50. I really don't know if enough breeding has been done to see if you could actually produce a cross between the two. Its highly unlikely but I wonder if its completely out of the question. I mean its taken some people alot of breeding just to produce a Blazing Blizzard. I think if two strains did happen to be compatible and produce a animal you probably wouldn't be able to recognize that it was a cross. Only after extensive efforts to prove it out would you be able to do so. But you never know. I do know this and its very interesting. I have a male double het Rain Bell. I used him this year for the first time and boy was it a blast! I used a het Bell female with him and het Rain female . Now the interesting thing is that both the Bells and the Rains I produced from him have similiar characteristics. Their patterns fade, they have similiar tail markings including some carrotting. Even their body types are similiar. Not to mention they are extremely hardy animals that grow really well and so far obtain to a nice size. Well Mathew I didn't mean to go off on a tangent and I hope I helped with your question some.

Old 11-05-2004, 10:44 PM   #3
MatthewK
Helped a lot! You were the person I was looking to answer my question. Hrm, I just got my first pair of rainwaters today.. and you've seen my bell pair? I am crossing stuff with super hypos, stripes, etc next year. I am excited. Maybe I will get another rainwater to breed to my bell male.. or see if Jodi has any dbl hets left.

Either way, I like the odds! Thanks again...

Old 11-06-2004, 07:22 AM   #4
Jodi L Aherns
I do have 2 Tremper X Rainwater cross left both are albinos.They look like Rainwaters,so they should be possiable het trempers.

Old 11-06-2004, 07:44 AM   #5
MatthewK
Jodi, are these Trempers x Rainwater? So if I understand correct you will get a visual something, and 50% het the other...?

Old 11-06-2004, 01:34 PM   #6
Blazin
To qoute

Quote:
They look like Rainwaters,so they should be possiable het trempers
That means he is thinking they are Rainwaters but that its possible they could be Trempers! I think! LOL! Gets fun working with two different strains of albinos together.

Old 11-06-2004, 11:26 PM   #7
Jodi L Aherns
I took a Tremper and breed it to a Rainwater to get all Dh.Then took the DH and breed them to get these albinos.I hatched out geckos that looked like Trempers and also geckos that looked like Rainwaters,also got one that is very odd looking may be the double homo. gecko i will be doing test breeding over the next two years to find out.It is so much fun and work to play around.

Old 11-07-2004, 01:50 AM   #8
LadyGecko
Jodi- that sounds absolutely fascinating!!
Sandy

Old 11-10-2004, 12:59 PM   #9
royalgoldreps
Re: Yep! Well I guess!

Quote:
Originally posted by Blazin
You do get double hets and then like you said you technically should hatch out 50/50.
What do you mean by 50/50? Do you mean 50% would be Tremper and 50% would be Rainwater?

Answer that for me please and then I will try to elaborate.

Steven
Royal Gold Reptiles

Old 11-10-2004, 08:00 PM   #10
royalgoldreps
Re: Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Blazin
Geez talk about a condescending tone! Man that was totally unappreciated! .... I have worked with many hets and am very well aware of the percentages.
Talk about condesending. I did not make my statement to be appreciated, I made it to collect information. How am I supposed to know what your experience is? I have seen your name, but I am NOT about to assume what you know and don't know. Dang, I even said "Please."

Chill out would you. I guess I know what I need to know now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!