Albino strains/subspecies question... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-25-2005, 12:45 PM   #1
mmfrankford
Albino strains/subspecies question...

OK lets see if I can make my jumbled thoughts make sense to everyone else. I found this site last night.
http://bornova.ege.edu.tr/~bgocmen/home14.html
It shows some of the subspecies of the leopard gecko. Anyway I was wondering. In leopard geckos there is three albino strains. Tremper, Rainwater, and Bell. And since most of the leos in the US are a mix of the several subspecies, if the different albino strains is a result of certain subspecies genetics being more dominant. That even though the leos are "mutts" that certain groups have more genetics of a certain subspecies.
Did this make sense?
I guess I would be curious to see what an albino would look like from each pure strain subspecies, and see if each strain resembles a certain subspecie.
Hope I didn't give anyone a headache. :scatter:

Old 07-25-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
brucestephenson
I hope someone here can eventually get some E. hardwickii. How cool would that be!

Old 07-25-2005, 08:47 PM   #3
Jodi L Aherns
I think you are are on the right track.I have thaught about this from day one.If i was to get DNA from each i might be able to figer it out.But we all know that will never happen.If any one has 100% pure subspcies send me some DNA i will start the long haul.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:29 PM   #4
Blazin
Nice thinking on that one! I know for a fact that different body shapes/sizes are directly related to the different sub-species. The problem lies with mapping it all out. Very good observation. I think some of the "morphs" may just be specific locals rearing their heads. Specially with different body shapes you find in leopards today. Its extremely interesting . Great Post!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!