The 'Dog shuffle' - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 11-20-2005, 08:30 PM   #1
Lucille
The 'Dog shuffle'

Now that I have two dogs, both of them follow me around when I do stuff and get underfoot.

There are times I do a special walk called the dog shuffle, kind of sliding along so I do not inadvertently step on one of them.

One of these days I will have to work on the 'down stay' so they can lie down in a particular corner and I won't have to worry, but for now it is amazing how they seem to know exactly which direction I am about to proceed in and place themselves there, lol.

Does this happen with y'all's dogs?

Old 11-20-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
PoohBear03031
Only when I have food! My cats are usually the ones in the way. We have literally had to hurdle them sometimes to keep from stepping on them. My fiance and myself have on occasion fell and almost broke our necks to keep from hurting them. Which the responded to by coming over giving us a sniff and then walking off and going about their buisness.

Old 11-20-2005, 09:11 PM   #3
YJHB
Uhm, nobody will like me for this, but my Golden Retriever used to do this...it solved the problem though.
After almost killing myself on the steps trying to avoid him one day, I started just walking right into him, saying while I was doing it an a clear voice, "Watch out! Watch out!"
After a few times doing this (he was brilliant) he started looking around him and moving quickly out of the way ...seems mean, but it worked and nobody broke any legs or ankles.

Old 11-20-2005, 09:54 PM   #4
Bar None Reptiles
I had that problem even when I had just one dog to start. I have 2 now which makes it even worse sometimes. But one thing I taught my big boy early on was the command "Back". He'll back up one step everytime I say this, or if walking until he is completely out of the way. Thankfully the smaller one is pretty fast and agile, or just used to being stepped on by his previous owner, so he'll get out of the way easily. Plus he is small enough for me to step over, but if he gets behind me he likes to knudge the back of my knees trying to get me to hurry up. But I started that with the bigger one in case some day when I have some time I can teach him some of that doggie dancing. But for now I think they are content on having me trained rather than the other way around.

Old 11-20-2005, 11:52 PM   #5
sirenofthestorm
My command is "Move" and she does. Just walk normally, and they'll get out of the way. A squeal during the trial phase of not letting your dog herd you is to be expected [because clearly we're NOT serious about going about business as if the dogs weren't undefoot, according to the dog anyway], and it sounds worse than it is. They'll live, and you won't break an ankle. Win-win for one stepped on paw.

Old 11-21-2005, 02:30 AM   #6
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJHB
Uhm, nobody will like me for this, but my Golden Retriever used to do this...it solved the problem though.
After almost killing myself on the steps trying to avoid him one day, I started just walking right into him, saying while I was doing it an a clear voice, "Watch out! Watch out!"
After a few times doing this (he was brilliant) he started looking around him and moving quickly out of the way ...seems mean, but it worked and nobody broke any legs or ankles.
Same thing I did/do. If someone doesn't like you for saying it, then they're probably having trouble picturing themselves in the same situation. Honestly, I think it's in the best interests of both man and beast.

ESPECIALLY when you're carrying a 55 gallon aquarium down the stairs by yourself and the dog wants to help.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:50 AM   #7
DAND
Wink But you gotta love 'em...

MOVE!!!!!!or GO!!!! Is usually what mine hear. Usually it's after I have already stepped on one and gone staggering around after trying to regain my balance. Of course it's when I'm carrying something as well. Damn dogs.

Old 11-21-2005, 08:39 AM   #8
Cat_72
Yep, mine scatter when they hear, "MOVE IT!!!!" There's still always going to be an occasion when I do something like make a mad dash for the door when they will get underfoot, because they are doubly excited, with someone knocking and I'm moving suddenly, but for instances like that, a slightly modified (QUICKER) version of the "dog shuffle" seems almost second nature right now, lol....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!