My First Crested Hatchling! :) - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-05-2005, 11:31 PM   #11
dragonflame
Sooo cute, congratulations!

Old 10-15-2005, 11:11 PM   #12
HerpAddict
Talking Update

I thought I should give an update on this crested. It was my first hatchling, and from what I have seen and heard about it in the last 3+ monthes, I might have something interesting. I'll just have to wait and see.

Basically the interesting thing is that this baby (who I've named Monte) has been its growth rate. Monte was born at 2.2g on July 4th. On September 4th Monte weighed in at 9.2grams. On October 6th, Monte weighed in 14.2grams, and on October 13th, Monte weighed in at 16.7grams. These are all on approximately empty stomachs.

From talking to the local breeders in my area, these sizes are quite large, and most say they haven't heard of a crested growing so quickly. I attribute the growth to a healthy appetite for crickets, a newly discovered love of fruit smoothies, and possibly genetics. Mom weighs in at 57g, and is a stub-tailed yellow dalmation. Dad isn't too big, at 37g and is one of those gorgeous rusty red cresteds with bi-color that is a bit green between the crests. Monte has dad's bi-color and mom's dalmation spotting.

The next set of eggs that hatched from these two followed suit, they are just over 2 monthes old now, and weigh in at 9.1g and 10.2g. I'm excited to see how these three turn out. The two month olds are the last set mom laid. She is currently just past her fourth month without laying, I guess she wanted a break. She never lost any weight, but I think she got tired of being gravid!

Here are pics of Monte:

At 2 monthes old and almost completely fired up:

At 3 monthes and in day colors:

Same as above, different angle:

Has anybody else had babies of this size? I have only heard locally about size, but perhaps more variance exists out there in baby size?

Cheers!

Old 10-16-2005, 03:08 AM   #13
sircat
looks great and sounds great...
mine love crickets but haven't grown that quickly...nice job

Old 11-20-2005, 11:40 PM   #14
HerpAddict
Talking Update again...

Monte is now 4.25 monthes old, and weighs in at 24g. I'm almost certain that Monte is a female, as there are no signs of bulges, and I would have thought if there was any, they would be starting to show by this weight. I won't believe it 100% until Monte is probably 9mths+ or over 35g. I'm thinking that 35g will probably come first at this rate!

His siblings are also porkers, 3.25 monthes and they are 18g and 15g (one takes more after dad, who isn't as big as mom).

They are such joys to watch grow (and eat!) and change!

The mother to these guys just came back from a 5 month break, and laid two eggs for me a week and a bit ago, so far they look good to me, but it's obviously a little early to tell! They have a different dad, and it was his first time breeding, so hopefully he got the job done well!

Old 11-21-2005, 12:08 AM   #15
sircat
wow, can't believe his size for his age still...should be quite interesting to see him/her when fully grown...um, what are in those smoothies?

Old 11-21-2005, 01:10 AM   #16
HerpAddict
In my most successful (ie, tasty) batch there included:
prickly pear
mango
black grapes
strawberry yogurt
bananas
strawberries

Monte pigs out on it, eating an average of about 2.5g of smoothie each time I give it to them, which is once or twice a week. It takes Monte a couple days to get his/her belly back into a girlish form afterwards

I dust the crickets with miner-all and try to give the crickets lots of food and carrots, which makes them nice and plump for the picking!

Old 11-21-2005, 03:05 AM   #17
sircat
sounds good...my food plan has been working ok for some and bad for others...and after hard times and losing my favorite girl, I just ordered Clark's diet...I've been hearing good things and hope it will help...sounds like your diet is working very well...I'd be interested how the females are after a while of breeding so I'm sure you'll keep us posted

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!