Measuring Ball Pythons or other snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-29-2005, 05:45 PM   #1
Bill & Amy
Measuring Ball Pythons or other snakes

I have heard of people struggling to get accurate measurments of their snakes. So I thought I would share my "technique". I have old triangle shaped boxes from packages I received with movie posters. I took 4 total and taped 2 each end to end, then taped the 2 sets of two together side by side. I then lined the inside with plain brown cardboard to make my marks easier to see and to make it rigid. I then took a sharpie and a tape measure and laid out 2 inch increments. As you can see it makes a nice cradle for the snake. I found that taking a long piece of cardboard and laying it over the top after placing the snake inside lets them see "the path" to follow. When the snakes tail is straight and even with the end I take the cardboard off and see what my measurment is. With this setup is is very easy for 1 person. Of course with that said measuring and taking pic is a pain in the butt!! LOL!!

Old 11-29-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
hhmoore
nice trick...and the snake looks good, too

Old 11-29-2005, 11:34 PM   #3
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
nice trick...and the snake looks good, too
Thank You!! That is my female albino, she just reached 44" long and 1575 grams!! She looks longer in the pic, it took me a couple of seconds to get the camera and take pic. So her tail wasnt at the end anymore. Im not as fast as I used to be!! LOL

Old 11-29-2005, 11:37 PM   #4
Junkyard
Hey, great idea. Especially with a beautiful snake like that one.

Old 11-29-2005, 11:55 PM   #5
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
Hey, great idea. Especially with a beautiful snake like that one.
Thanks!!

Old 11-30-2005, 10:57 AM   #6
Scott Ashton
Wink

Bill,

Don't worry about wrapping her, just make sure I get her in time for Christmas.

-Scott

Old 11-30-2005, 11:39 AM   #7
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shavemycoinpurse
Bill,

Don't worry about wrapping her, just make sure I get her in time for Christmas.

-Scott

I thought about it for a minute!! NOT!!

Old 11-30-2005, 02:14 PM   #8
sircat
very nice idea...there is also a Snake Measurer Program
http://serpwidgets.com/Apps/apps.html

though it might be hard to get a usable pic of big snakes

Old 11-30-2005, 08:28 PM   #9
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sircat
very nice idea...there is also a Snake Measurer Program
http://serpwidgets.com/Apps/apps.html

though it might be hard to get a usable pic of big snakes
Thanks Rachel. I think you are right, that program would work better for smaller snakes. IT seems like it would be alittle time consuming taking pic with ruler, loading pic, snapping lines and everything. LOL I dont think I have enough patience to do that for 20+ snakes. Thanks for the info!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!