Discussion on Puggle Pups 500.00 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 05-17-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
coyote
Discussion on Puggle Pups 500.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturner
Puggles are a hybrid breed, they are a breed of pugs and beagles. The pug is AKC registered. As for their hips and knees being certified, i know that the vet has checked them and said they were fine but i am uncertain if she certified them. I will contact her today to find out.
thanks for asking
sheilla
Pug X Beagle is NOT a hybrid. It is a mixed breed, a mongrel cross.
Calling mixed breed dogs "hybrids" is a misrepresentation of fact. Either that or simply a very creative and loose definition of the term.

Hybrids are crosses between two different species.

Orthopedic certification requires a standardized x-ray, sent off to be evaluated and graded by Veterinary Radiologists acting as experts with a recognized agency. A vet doing an exam is not adequate for certification.

IMO, this notion of giving catchy names to MIXED BREED (=MONGRELS) pups, making them into a fad and selling them at exorbitant prices is nothing more than duping the naive, who have more money than sense, for the greatest profit.

Approximately 1 million mixed and pure bred dogs and cats will be killed in the US this year. Anyone wanting a worthy and wonderful companion can not only save one of those, but get it at considerably less cost. But, to each there own.

Old 05-17-2006, 06:24 PM   #2
coyote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturner
Puggles are a hybrid breed, they are a breed of pugs and beagles. The pug is AKC registered.
The Pug is registered. How do you know that the other parent is even a Beagle? These pups could tri-breed mixes, quadra-breed mixes. The most, then, that can be said for the Beagle parent is that it is Beagle-type.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Pug X Beagle is NOT a hybrid. It is a mixed breed, a mongrel cross.
Calling mixed breed dogs "hybrids" is a misrepresentation of fact. Either that or simply a very creative and loose definition of the term.

Hybrids are crosses between two different species.

Orthopedic certification requires a standardized x-ray, sent off to be evaluated and graded by Veterinary Radiologists acting as experts with a recognized agency. A vet doing an exam is not adequate for certification.

IMO, this notion of giving catchy names to MIXED BREED (=MONGRELS) pups, making them into a fad and selling them at exorbitant prices is nothing more than duping the naive, who have more money than sense, for the greatest profit.

Approximately 1 million mixed and pure bred dogs and cats will be killed in the US this year. Anyone wanting a worthy and wonderful companion can not only save one of those, but get it at considerably less cost. But, to each there own.
Amen.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:34 AM   #4
old guy
My .02 cents and in the biz

of owning multi pet stores and breeding dogs breeds of past > this kind of mutt mix is an eyesore to the whole industry of dogs and dog breeds ( sorry PUGGLE breeder but you came here so hear the flames ). It takes away from the original species of linage, pedigrees, and registry. Let's talk about registry > why would someone breed a registered breed to another registered breed to produce these kinds of mutts. Because neither of these 2 dogs owned by these owners is probably registered in the first place < my assumption and my opinion > . It could be they didn't take the time to register of pedigree, didn't have the money, maybe one breeder dog has a problem and can't be registered, maybe the owner has had a problem with direct breed of either, both, other breeds and can't register as a breeder ? Next is the price. OUTRAGEOUS for a mixed mutt ! I don't know about the east coast, but a registered Pug and a registered Beagle can be had for way under $500 and a unregistered dog of either breed can be had even cheaper. Several years ago one of my wholesale reptile guys in Florida paid $800 for a mutt of the breed of Peekapoo. I was totally SHOCKED at what he paid ! In the mid west when this breed was popular as a mutt cross they went for $200. Now health concerns of mutt breeding > we have snout/nose problems and some eye problems with Pugs, there is definitely leg problems and some times hip problems with beagles. See my wave ? But there again, it's up to the public how they are taking in by supply and demand. why anybody would spend good money for a mutt mix is beyond me !True that many thousands of pedigree, not registered, non pedigreed but true breeds are put to sleep every year for what ever reason. These mutts just add to it and the dilemma in my opinion.

Old 05-24-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
La Hire
He/she is breeding dogs mutts whatever while a bunch in here are breeding reptiles,exotics anything to make money...Arent yall breeders? Please shut up

Old 05-24-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
coyote
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Hire
He/she is breeding dogs mutts whatever while a bunch in here are breeding reptiles,exotics anything to make money...Arent yall breeders? Please shut up
Not everyone here is a breeder.
For those that are, it's not "anything to make money".
For those that aren't, it's not "anything to make money".

You are certainly welcome to express your opinion, as you have AND AS HAVE THE OTHER POSTERS. Your last comment grossly oversteps any authority you believe you have. It also compromises any credibility you might otherwise have been afforded.

A word of advice, it would be a sign of wisdom if you repress such juvenile expressions in other posts you make on this site. Don't take my word for it, read the rules.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:49 PM   #7
La Hire
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Not everyone here is a breeder.
For those that are, it's not "anything to make money".
For those that aren't, it's not "anything to make money".

You are certainly welcome to express your opinion, as you have AND AS HAVE THE OTHER POSTERS. Your last comment grossly oversteps any authority you believe you have. It also compromises any credibility you might otherwise have been afforded.

A word of advice, it would be a sign of wisdom if you repress such juvenile expressions in other posts you make on this site. Don't take my word for it, read the rules.
Don`t feel offended it`s reality.I dont take advices from backyard breeders,or any other animal breeder who wont take a real job and leave your threats to the comedy central.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:01 PM   #8
dragonflyreptiles
So far this discussion has been tame but Fabian, insulting other members will nto be toelrated. You can have an opinion without being rude.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
Hurley
What's in a name...

What is the advantage of buying a purebred, pedigreed dog? Ideally, if attention is paid to lines and the breeder works hard at his/her craft, the breed has been molded in the image of the standard written for the breed, breeding for sound conformation, temperament, and instinct to do the job they were bred for (if it's a working/herding/hound/sporting type dog). Buying a purebred dog gives the new owner some reassurance that the dog will be of a certain type, with certain traits, certain personality tendencies, etc. The pedigree shows a record of ancestors so you can see over time the quality of dogs that went into the line. Have they shown and achieved titles, are they the type of dog you want with the qualities you are looking for? Pedigrees don't mean much to me if I don't know the animals in the background. It's just as easy to register a poor specimen as a good one, and it's just as easy to keep breeding generations of poor puppies from those lines.

Bottom line of it is ywith a purebred, you are looking to get a type of dog with certain characteristics and some reassurance it'll end up that way.

Based on that, I fail to see why it's wrong for people to want to buy a puggle (beagle x pug), cockapoo, labradoodle, yorkipoo, etc. "Hybrids" (yes, I agree, technically it's a species x different species cross, but the name also has use in crossing certain pure strains, such as seed corn for instance) have the advantage over mutt x mutt crosses of producing a fairly reliable outcome. The puggles I've seen walk through the door all look like puggles within as narrow (or wide) range of looks as I see in pure breeds. Stands to reason that they would, considering that they are all getting a fairly standardized DNA pug strand and a fairly standardized DNA beagle strand. The "hybrid" comes out with a fairly consistant look and personality.

Now if you go to breed an F1 puggle to an F1 puggle, all bets are off, but to the new owner who just wants a good family pet with "puggle" looks and disposition...who am I to criticize their choice of dog or look down on them for wanting a blending of characteristics in their pet? Their choice is no poorer than my choice to own/show/breed my Aussies. Their dog is no poorer a specimen just for its genetics.

Yes, I know the "mutt"/"purebred" wars go on outside the reptile arena, too. :eatpointe

Now, on the issue of cost... Overpriced is in the eye of the beholder. Something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. If puggles are selling like hotcakes for $500, then the demand is obviously there and I fail to see how they are overpriced. If they ARE overpriced at $500, then they won't sell. If someone doesn't do their homework and/or simply chooses to pay a (what you consider to be) overpriced fee for their new pet and they are happy with their dog and it's worth $500 to them...where's the harm?

Prices vary nearly as much as quality does. I could buy an Aussie pup for a couple hundred dollars, purebred, papered, etc. Would I? No. I have expectations from the animals I take in, which include showing them. I want an animal from lines I like, conformation standards and performance ability I like, with a look I like, from a responsible breeder I like, who has taken the time and spent the money to CERF and OFA their dogs along with putting the effort into titling the animals. For that, I'd gladly pay $1500+ for a puppy, but you couldn't pay me to take a $150 dollar pup. No one could afford to sell pups at $150 doing the minimum of what ""I"" want to have been done to ensure I'm getting the quality of pup I want. That's my personal situation. Am I buying overpriced dogs? That may be your opinion, but in my mind I've gotten a bargain.

On the issue of health, ideally both parents of the pups would have had their hips radiographed for hip dysplasia evaluation and their knees palpated for luxating patellas. One would hope both animals are generally healthy animals, free from the common ailments for each breed. This is for the buyer to question the breeder on. It's always a gamble, but without evaluations of the heart, eyes, elbows, stifles, hips, upper respiratory system of the pug, etc., it's more of a crap shoot than if the homework has been done.

Just a couple cents from an Aussie mom.

And a token shot of Riley, my girl, just because.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:48 AM   #10
Griz
Do you all realize that this was not intended to be a forum to discuss the pro's/con's of selling specific animals. The reply button was meant to allow buyers to ask potential questions of the sellers. It was NOT intended to allow people to bash someone for his/her products. That was the whole reason behind why Rich changed the classified section to begin with. He was kind enough to bring it back but expects us to act like adults and use it the way it was intended.

Right/Wrong/Indifferent, find a different forum to vent your frustrations regarding this breed etc. I would hate to see the actions of a few rid us of a valuable tool!

Griz

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!