I am so sad fried eggs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-14-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
akaangela
I am so sad fried eggs

I went to check on my last two eggs. I knew something was VERY wrong when the heat hit me in the face when I opened the door. Both babies where dead. They where well formed but one had one kink the other had many kinks. The Helix I had controling the temps was reading LLL. I was crushed! The ONLY saving grace was neither one was an albino. I would have just given up on the entire breeding thing. So my first year has come to a close. 7 good babies 4:3 and two that should have lived but didn't . I hope next year will be better!

Have any of you all had your helix's mess up and kill your babies?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
SPJ
So sorry to hear about this. It's a shame your T-stat failed on you.
I use the Herpstats and have never had a problem with them. A few years ago I had heard that Helix was having issues. How old is your T-stat?
Next year will be better. Think positive. You now have 7 babies you successfully hatched.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
NorthernRegius.com
ALL T-Stats can fail...

I have gotten into the habit of checking the temps EVERY DAY on my incubator T-Stats (My rack Stat are double units & set off an alarm if they fail)... Sweety my FIRST het to het Albino Clutch (the second for the pair) SHOULD have yielded 4 Albinos & 2 normals- how cool would that have been? But issues with my wiring (at first I thought it was the T-stat) killed 4 eggies... I was blessed to have 2 healthy Albino hatchlings. So these things do happen... just have to watch closely and IMHO have a backup unit on hand.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
Wolfy-hound
Bad stuff happens sometimes. You can get backups, and all, and even get temp alarms.(sold for dogs in cars of all things).
Sorry to hear of the loss, and best luck in the future!

Old 07-15-2008, 12:35 AM   #5
WingedWolf
My Herpstat complains loudly whenever anything isn't perfect, and I just found a nifty and inexpensive wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer--you stick one part where you want a reading, and put the other somewhere you can see it easily--I keep mine on my computer desk. As long as it's within 100 feet of the other piece with nothing metal in the way, you can see the temp.
Sorry your T-stat failed...there's no real way to predict a failure like that, and Helixes are supposed to be reliable, so it wasn't your fault you trusted the Helix. I would say just get a temp alarm like Wolfy suggested, or make sure that your next t-stat has built in loud alarms.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
Awwww... im sorry to hear this!

I agree with steve though too, you have seven good ones that you get to raise up! It may not have been all of them, which is still very sad, but at least you have some. It wasnt your fault though.

It seems alot of people this year have been having bad luck. Be it egg wise, or incubation wise. I wonder why that is....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!