Do you say "Bee-Oh-Eye" or "Boy"? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:47 PM   #1
coyote
Do you say "Bee-Oh-Eye" or "Boy"?

How do you refer to the Board of Inquiry, the BOI?

Old 11-09-2005, 02:37 AM   #2
A_Kendergirl
I say "Boy"

Old 11-09-2005, 02:45 AM   #3
hhmoore
B-O-I, from me

Old 11-09-2005, 12:49 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
Everyone I've ever spoken with about the BOI refers to it as initials, B-O-I.
Pronouncing it phonetically has never occurred to me.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:03 PM   #5
Matt Haines
I pronounce it more like bu- o - ee. Kinda like boy but with a more pronounced O.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:34 PM   #6
Hurley
I've always just called it the B-O-I. Boy or Boey never occurred to me, either. I think I'll stick to B-O-I.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:27 PM   #7
Jim O
It's the B-O-I.

A "boi" is a very different thing...see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boi_%28gender%29
Quote:
Boi (gender)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Boi is a deliberate misspelling of boy, and is often used as a synonym for male when referring to young adults. 'Boi' may refer to a boyish and relatively young gay male, especially one who is somewhat effeminate, or who merely wishes to distinguish himself with a different term from heterosexual boys.

It may also refer to a female-born or female-bodied person -- sometimes transsexual, transgendered, or intersexed, sometimes not -- who generally does not identify wholly or at all as being feminine, female, a girl, or a woman, though some bois identify as one or more of these. Bois almost always identify as lesbians, dykes, or queers; many are also genderqueer or genderfucked. Bois can prefer a range of pronouns, including 'he,' 'she,' or gender-neutral pronouns; it's usually best to ask to avoid offence.

Some transmen identify as bois, but others object to being called 'boi,' preferring to simply be called 'boy,' 'man,' or 'transman.' As with pronouns, the best way to avoid using the wrong word is to ask. Some butch lesbians also identify as bois, and some people use the word 'boi' to refer to a young butch. In some BDSM communities, 'boi' is used as a term for a submissive and/or bottom butch.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:56 PM   #8
PaulSage
It depends

If I'm talking to someone from Fauna, it's usually the B.O.I., but sometimes the "boi". With non-Fauna people, I usually call it the "Board of Inquiry" or "Fauna's Board of Inquiry" or "...there's this online forum where people post editorials and experiences with different reptile-related vendors, breeders and suppliers..." --but that one frequently gets a response like, "you mean you're not the only lunatic that has 100's of snakes and geckos?!"

Old 11-09-2005, 02:59 PM   #9
Serpwidgets
B-O-I for me.

My favorite is when people call it the BIO.

Old 11-09-2005, 04:10 PM   #10
coyote
See now, the BIO mistake comes easily to me because I was a Biology major in college.

Jim O, answers like yours are why it can be so interesting asking innocuous questions like this. Thanks for the education. But, how does one know which word/version is being used when pronunciation is the same? Context?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!