what kind of lizard do i have and what kind of habitat and food does it need????? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
cristy_hurst
what kind of lizard do i have and what kind of habitat and food does it need?????

i live in hopkins county texas. (north east texas)...i caught a lizard outside for my daughter but i have no idea what kind he is or what he needs to eat...i bought him a small fish tank to live in and put some leaves, grass and sticks in it....i've n feeding him crickets and i put a water bowl in for him but im affraid he needs other stuff to be healthy...he is about 3 inches long and is a bright green all over...he does change shades of green...he doesnt bite and doesnt mind being handled too much....is it ok for us to keep him because i have a 2 and a 4 year old, and what all do we need to do for him???

Old 10-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #2
IloveSnakes1234
Can you give us a better description and/or pictures??
I am thinking it's a green anole as they are native to Texas.
http://www.zo.utexas.edu/research/tx...olinensis.html

They make great pets and they are often found in pet stores; here's a care sheet:
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/lizar...nanolecare.htm

Old 10-20-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
Cat_72
Wild caught reptiles of most any sort usually do NOT make good pets. They often do not acclimate well to captivity, especially if not properly set up from the get-go with correct heat and humidity. Wild caught lizards may also be harboring parasites and such that will significantly shorten his life span, even if he does get somewhat acclimated to his captive life. Anoles (if that is indeed what it is) also do not do well with a lot of handling, and are more suited as "display" type lizards as opposed to pets to be held and played with by the kids, it causes them a great deal of stress. How are the kids going to feel if their new pet dies a couple of weeks from now?

Your best bet, and the lizard's, is to let him go again in the area you found him. Many kinds of lizards can be purchased rather inexpensively, and you can make sure you have the enclosure properly set up for his health and comfort BEFORE getting him.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:11 PM   #4
Tim Cole
I agree...

with Cathy and echo her response.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
sschind
Except that green anoles (if this is in fact what he has) are all WC. What's the difference if he catches one or buys one from some guy who catches hundreds or thousands.

You do make some very valid points Cathy. Especially the part about anoles not being handleable, and about having the setup beforehand.

That being said, if the guy wants to keep the green anole, gets the proper setup, and his daughter can get over the fact that she can't handle it then I see no reason why he should not keep it.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
Jazeira
I second Steve with that.

Would love to hear back from the original poster though and see if it is a green anole and how he's set it up and such.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!