Advice on a possible purchase... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-19-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
nevermore_66
Advice on a possible purchase...

Need some advice on a possible purchase.

I’ve been considering getting a Tegu for some time. I wasn’t sure whether I wanted a Blue or an Argentine B&W. I liked the color of the former and the size of the later. But I have noticed, on websites like this, some very high white B&Ws that had the lighter colors that I liked in the Blues.

I was just at a reptile show this weekend, and there was a tegu, like that for sale. The seller did not know the sex of the tegu, but that it was a Argentine Black and White and over a year old. His (I say he…but again, I don’t know the sex) tale was broken off midway.

On the bright side, he had no other blemishes, had all his toes and nails (no warped or overgrown nails), was nice and robust, alert looking, clean, and clear eyes and nasal passages. He had a very nice, clean, high white head and coloration. And the tail itself, though broken and at half length, had healed up nicely (if someone who didn’t know anything about Tegus saw him, they’d probably assume the species has a broader, shorter tail).

They were asking for $150 for him…but after talking with them and showing interest, they said they’d go down to $140.

I still wasn’t sure, but they let me hold him and I was very impressed with how tame he was. He didn’t even squirm in my hands. He was very squirmy in the little cage, looking for a way out (the owners said he was smart enough to figure out how to jiggle the top off the little display cage, if they didn’t watch him carefully. But once out of the cage he was content to sit in my arms and, was very calm despite the very noisy, congested warehouse.

I just got back from college and was not set up to take a lizard home that day, so I (with a bit of restraint) figured I’d do the responsible thing and wait and think it over. I got their email address (they’re local) and said I’d let them know if I was still interested (and he wasn’t sold).

My question is, what do you all think about the sale? Is $140 a fair price on a high white, yearling B&W, of indeterminate sex, and a good disposition? How hard is it to get these high white specimens? Am I better off just waiting and getting a hatchling? Is it a gamble as to the coloration of a baby tegu?

I have experience with reptiles, but have never owned a tegu (though I’ve read up on them and hovered over forums like this for a few years now).

Any opinions appreciated.

-Josh

Old 12-19-2005, 12:04 PM   #2
Junkyard
Argentine tegu's are black and white, if there is any discoloration in a Tegu with black and white with some brown, than it is more likely a black and white Columbian tegu. Argentine's also are known for having a calmer disposition.

Pet stores sell black and white Argentine tegus for $150, you should be able to find them for less from private breeders. Someone I know paid $150 for his yearling Argentine at a pet store, told me it was all nice in the store but as soon as he brought it home, it turned into a terror.

That Tegu you met seems really nice, if you think $150 is worth it for a gentle Tegu like that one then it is worth it. If you would rather have a hatchling with a full tail, then you also have the opportunity to get to know the little guy's personality before it gets too big. Being so small you are more likely to hold it a lot, rather than get an adult that you hold once in a while. What do you really want? An adult or a hatchling?

Old 12-20-2005, 12:04 AM   #3
nevermore_66
Thanks for the reply.

How are Tegus as far as bonding/learning after their first year? Can I still clicker train it?

Old 12-21-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
riverjop
Just Remember that A BLK/Wht tegu will get quite large (mine is 40" and still growing) So be prepared for the special housing needs of it as it grows. Also They will get tamer as they get older and mine is very curious about what what I do as he strolls around the house. He does like to come to me for food or just to be rubbed on his back.

Old 12-22-2005, 06:14 PM   #5
nevermore_66
Yeah, I'm aware of their size...in fact that's what I want

What you describe, a large, curious lizard wandering about, is the kind of animal I'd like to have.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
varnyard
Most Argentine Black and White Tegus have come from Agama international. There are several breeders now. The stock these are out of have some real dark males as well as females. So it would depend on the parents and grandparents as to the appearance of the offspring. I will say the dark ones are more rare to find though. Most Argentine tegus are not real dark. I will post a few pictures of one dark Argentine tegu and one light one. The colors may vary quite a bit. This should not be confused with the Colombian Black and white which tends to be darker. I have never seen a Colombian Black and white that was light in color. I will also add, the young of the Argentine's are green headed when young. The Colombians are not.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!