Interesting Gargoyle (R. auriculatus) Eyes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Gargoyle Queen
Interesting Gargoyle (R. auriculatus) Eyes

I posted this on Repashy forums a couple days ago, but thought I could get more feedback here. (PS... Took me forever to figure out where the general discussion forums were on FC, so now that I've figured that out... I'll try to be more of a forum contributor.)

So during an outdoor photo shoot (two days ago), I realized that one of my male and one of my female future breeders both have some very unique eyes. Renenutet (the female) has black surrounding some red pigmentation which has slowly intensified as she grows. Thoth has a lot of black posterior to the pupil. Looking at some of my other geckos (and a few friends geckos) I notice a slight edging on a few more. Can't say I've really ever noticed until now.

I wondered if it could be due to light availability causing contraction of the pupil which revealed more black, or if it was always this way. On Thoth, light vs dark (contracted vs dilated) had little to no effect on the amount of black edging in his eyes. On Renenutet, it was minimal, but I did notice a slight decrease in black when she was in the dark and dilated. I pulled out a few of my other geckos and noticed no black a lot of them, but a couple others did have the black ring with a fluorescent light. They, however, didn't show any black in the dark. Interesting.

I don't think I've ever seen (or at leat noticed) this much black partial pigmentation (other than phantom eyes) before in auriculatus and was interested in if the online community had any input.

Renenutet:

Thoth:

Old 07-03-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
tony34
they r so beautiful! nice work

Old 07-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
312Herps
that's interesting.. see how it developes in their children.nice gargs btw

Old 08-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
sangmort
Yes!!! Ironically, I too, noticed this in 2 of my gargs the other day for the first time. Very trippy. In mine's case, it's on two reticulated / orange blotches. ~

Old 08-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
RhacHouse
In my collection the dark ring is pretty normal. How much of the ring shows varies but still pretty common. I think its actually there on all gargs its just the size of eye opening seems to be different, allowing more or less of that ring to be visible.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
Gargoyle Queen
Ya know, now that I've taken notice to this I'm seeing it in quite a few of my gargs have this. As you said Paul, the amount of black varies... But still Thoth has a good amount of it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
auriculatus, gargoyle, rhacodactylus