JuNgLe CaRpEt On ThE wAy(TARZAN) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-28-2006, 08:48 PM   #1
vinnybocknyg
JuNgLe CaRpEt On ThE wAy(TARZAN)

Im alittle nervouse about Tarzan being a biter as The babies are known to be any advice on taming him quick??

Old 05-28-2006, 10:24 PM   #2
hhmoore
babies do strike a lot...sometimes they even connect...rarely will they bite hard enough to make you notice (or maybe I am just too used to it). The settle down with a few meals and just a little bit of gentle handling

Old 05-28-2006, 10:43 PM   #3
SIRS
never notice it? harald yes you are way to use to it ...i have a spotted pair that no matter what i do will do what they can in there power to tag me ..and i feel it every time it doesnt hurt ,just shocks the hell out of me ..even when i know there going to bite it still just ain't right im not sure if i want to ever get use to it ...lol..but i guess if you are going to have snakes you are going to get bite better when there small then when there 6 plus feet i think ..hope i never know that personally

Old 05-28-2006, 10:46 PM   #4
SIRS
you have to hold him alot i believe but give him a week or so to settle in ..then start slowly handleing him sure you will probably get tagged .and when you do i heard not to put them back because its telling them if they bite they get left alone ...sorry i really dont have much experience in taming ..i been lucky so far ..(well there goes that i just jinxed my self) i only been tagged by spotted and corns good luck with your new guy post pictures when you get him

Old 05-29-2006, 12:21 AM   #5
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRS
never notice it? harald yes you are way to use to it ...i have a spotted pair that no matter what i do will do what they can in there power to tag me ..and i feel it every time it doesnt hurt ,just shocks the hell out of me ..even when i know there going to bite it still just ain't right im not sure if i want to ever get use to it ...lol..but i guess if you are going to have snakes you are going to get bite better when there small then when there 6 plus feet i think ..hope i never know that personally
But we aren't talking about your spotteds, lol, we are talking about JCP babies. I have been breeding them (well, jungle/diamond Xs) for years, so maybe I don't think much of it. They will strike at movement, but not every strike ends in a bite. Most of the bites are half-hearted warnings, but sometimes they will chomp down. The majority of the bites will come as you try to get them out of the enclosure...especially if they have a perch to wrap around. You don't have to handle them alot to settle them, either...in fact, I think that the more you try to handle them, the more you will get bitten, lol. Of course, all of this is assuming that you are talking about hatchlings.

Feel free to post additional questions, or to contact me directly

**edit & off topic** BTW, from what I have experienced with my CY spotted pythons hatchlings - they seem to drop the reflex/aggressive striking within a few weeks of hatching...after that, it is usually because they are HUNGRY. For little guys, they sure have voracious appetites, lol. My adults usually see me with the feeders and are coming mouth first as I open their boxes.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:05 PM   #6
The Nothing
I know my lil JCP hasn't ever even made a defensive posture let alone strike anything but a mouse. Every snake is different.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
hhmoore
I'd be surprised to hear that it was an angel right out of the shell, but I have had a few that pretty much stopped striking by their first shed

Old 05-29-2006, 02:56 PM   #8
vinnybocknyg
Thanks alot for the replies!! I was real confused for a while on what I was gonna get a rainbow boa or a Jcp. I decided to go with the jcp only because of the complex husbandry that goes along with the rainbow. Im just a little nervouse about getting a nasty one its down to the luck of the draw I guess.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!