Bad Guy Pixie77 - fraud - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:47 AM   #61
hhmoore
Dan - I had already done enough research to know who you were before I contacted you to correct your profile. Please contact WebSlave to have him correct your DOB - it isn't visible to anybody unless you choose to make it so.
Do what you want as far as the email is concerned; but don't be surprised if it causes issues with your buying and selling - as I pointed out earlier in this thread, a person using two different names should make anybody <STOP>.
My only other suggestion is to put the kid card away. You were functioning just fine - your little only 15/just a kid spiel was annoying...not even necessarily because of you; but because of the all the other people that played that card in exactly the same way. If you want to be kid, be a kid - that's no problem, and you're old enough to be here; but if you don't want your age to influence how people think of you, don't make it an issue.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #62
hhmoore
Dan (turtledan77),
I believe you stated at one point that you had not received any communication from spickedan - I just want to confirm that. Please check your Spam folder, as well...I think many, if not most, of the emails that get sent that way end up there.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #63
BillZ
"I agree that it is trying to scam Paypal if request is made that payment be sent as a gift (so seller does not have to pay fees).
I am simply saying that it does not mean/prove that the seller is going to scam the buyer."

Using that logic what is stopping you from going to every post with a scammer involved and arguing "Just because they scammed this guy doesn't mean they are going to scam the next guy"?

There is at least one member here on Fauna with the mindset that it is perfectly fine to cheat and rob Paypal of their fees when making purchases or selling items. Nothing more than petty thieves in my opinion, using such inane arguments such as " why do you think they have the "send as friend option" and they wouldn't have that if they didn't want you to use it. You cant argue with that kind of logic....

IMHO it is perfectly fine to start a bad guy thread on this type of business practice. In the very least it may bring it to the attention of viewers what the issue may become for them if they were to pay this way. I bet the guy who just bought the turtle this way wished he had been more aware of this. He may have thought twice about sending payment as a friend.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #64
turtledan77
Yeah double checking my spam, trash (and sent for fear that my account had been hacked) folders was the first thing I did. I had nothing from spickedan but that doesn't definitively mean he didn't send me something. My trash folder only saves deleted stuff for a couple of days and it's entirely possible his message went to spam and was cleared out with the dozens of other junk mails I get daily.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #65
Pasodama
All I know is that a lot of people request Paypal gift or for customer to pay fees. Whenever someone asks me to gift (even trusted friends), I just say that I'll pay the fees or I decide not to do business.
Again, IDK but a lot of people (even ones you may know) have done this sort of thing (with Paypal) but did not scam the buyer.
I do not agree, with it (seller getting out of paying Paypal fees), and I do not do it myself.
Seems nobody understands what I was trying to convey. Oh well.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #66
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by spickedan View Post
Robert Walker I put my email out on Dan's profile so I guess he saw it publicly and that's how I he contacted me, although the first email I received from him was an answer to a question I asked via email.
This is the part I don't understand Dan, "answer to a question I asked via email." So you sent "who" a question via email. This makes it sound like you were the first person to send an "email". Did you send it via Fauna email to TurtleDan77? Thanks

Old 11-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #67
turtledan77
Piecing this together, I think it's pretty clear what happened:

1) Spickedan saw my ad and wanted the turtles. He then posted his email address in two different places. A) in the thread itself: "Btw my e-mail is spickedan@gmail.com" and B) as a comment on my profile: "Very interested in the concentric DBT's available, please e-mail me at spickedan@gmail.com"

2) Based on his eagerness, I would not doubt that he also sent an email using the in site function, though I have no record or recollection of that specific email.

3) Pixie77 (yes the 77 in his username is an unfortunate coincidence but I can assure you we aren't related!) saw his email address in one of the two places he posted it, and emailed him pretending to have the terrapins. It looks like his first contact was:
"On Nov 14, 2014, at 9:37 PM, d_mcdaniel2@aol.com wrote: > Yes how many Terrapins were you interested in"

4) Spickedan operated under the assumption he was dealing with the poster of the ad he saw and the deal went forward from there.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #68
turtledan77
Also, based on his communication... I'm not even sure that pixie was pretending to be me so much as he was just cherry picking people looking for specific animals and emailing them claiming to have some.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #69
Lucille
A seller who asks that the buyer's payment be sent as a gift is scamming Paypal. But it is more than that, such a request is asking the buyer to cut the safety net he has by using Paypal for covered purchases, because once the payment is sent as a gift it is not eligible for Paypal's buyer protection should something go wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasodama View Post
Seems nobody understands what I was trying to convey.
I see what you are trying to say. I'm thinking that there is simply a difference of perspective, with some feeling that since someone who asks for a gift payment has already ripped off Paypal and has cut the safety net from under his customer IS a bad guy and the initiation of the thread made to alert others of the lack of ethics and risk inherent in such requests.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #70
hhmoore
It's a tactic that has been used by many scammers here over the years...and, unfortunately, it is one they can employ even after they are banned; which is why it is important for people to THINK before sending their money.
Pixie77 knew he was running out of time here because of his incomplete profile (that was made clear to him via infraction notices and PM). He deleted most of his own ads, in favor of contacting people directly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!