Librarian Looses Job Over Reading Contest - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Mistyck
Librarian Looses Job Over Reading Contest

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/clo...185514741.html

Quote:
It may be a quiet place, but the public library in Hudson Falls, New York (population: 6,927), is buzzing with drama these days, and the story has all the components of a good novel (albeit a novel set in a library, featuring librarians and a 9-year-old reading-contest winner as the main characters). That 9-year-old is Tyler Weaver — the self-proclaimed "king of the book club" and one of the library's most frequent visitors — who will be taking his book business elsewhere, now that a longtime library aide who stuck up for him in a contest controversy has been fired.

"The kids call her Gram. That makes it even worse," Tyler's mother, Katie Weaver, tells Yahoo Shine. "Gram" is Lita Casey, a library aide who spent 28 years working at the Hudson Falls Free Library. But Casey says that the library's board of trustees let her go without reason this week, a month after Casey defended Tyler, who won the library's summer reading contest, "Dig into Reading," for the fifth time by reading the most books in a six-week period.

"I’m not very happy. I was not ready to leave," Casey, who's also a former preschool teacher, tells Yahoo Shine. "I loved my job, and I loved the little kids."

Weaver explains that the library controversy started when she called the local newspaper, the Post-Star, asking if they would feature Tyler’s win in the paper. "I called the paper because I was proud of Tyler," she says, "not because I wanted to complain."

The publication then reached out to former library director Marie Gandron for a quote on Tyler's reading success. Instead of praising Tyler's effort, Gandron told The Post-Star that Tyler "hogs" the contest every year and he should "step aside." (And if you don't believe a grown woman would say these things about a little boy who reads a lot, check out the story the paper published.) "Other kids quit because they can't keep up," she told The Post-Star last month, adding that she planned to change the reading program's rules, suggesting they draw names out of a hat instead of awarding prizes, such as T-shirts, water bottles, and atlases, to kids who read the most books. (Gandron has not returned Yahoo Shine's request for comment.)

Disagreeing with Gandron's proposed rule changes, Casey stepped in and stood up for Tyler, who read an impressive 63 books in just six weeks, which made him the clear winner, fair and square. "I don't think it should be a lottery," Casey explains. They all had the same amount of time." The contest only requires kids to read 10 books to participate, and there is no word on how many books the runner-up logged.

And the plot thickens: According to Weaver, Gandron then left her position at the library, never having apologized to Tyler. Michael Herman, president of the library's board of trustees, confirmed to the Post-Star last week that Gandron was no longer employed by the library but wouldn't say whether she had been fired or quit.

According to Casey, a member of the library board called her Monday evening to let her know she'd been fired but wouldn't give her a reason. Casey, not surprisingly, is convinced that her firing is related to the controversy over the library's reading contest, but she hasn't been given a chance to speak with the board since and isn't happy about the whole thing. "I would say I don't deserve this. I don't know what it is. I wasn't going to quit with all of the flak," she says. (The librarian at Hudson Falls Free Library who answered Yahoo Shine's call said she could not comment on the situation, and Herman could not be reached for comment.)

Weaver doesn't agree with the board's decision, either, and points out that Casey has dedicated her life to encouraging kids to read. "I don’t know what the board was thinking," she says. "For them to let her go and not give her a reason, that's wrong. Someone who stands up for kids, stands up for what's right — those are the kinds of people I want in my kids' lives."

Casey says she's received many calls of support, but she won't be frequenting the Hudson Falls Free Library anymore. "I'm going to miss it," she says. This story could have a happy ending, though: If there's an opening at a nearby library's children's room, she'll happily begin a new chapter there. And Weaver says that she, Tyler, and a few other families will be following suit. "We'll be going to another library with her," she says. Why? The answer is simple, according to Weaver: "She's so sweet."
You have got to be kidding me! They want kids to read, but when they reward those that actually get into reading and do good at it, they're frowned upon? Seriously?! I wouldn't be surprised if that young man thinks it's his fault and doesn't want to read as much for fear of causing more problems. UGH! Adults are supposed to act like adults, not sniveling little kids...That was a truly RUDE thing for that woman to say about the young man. He deserves to be praised for wanting to read, and enrich his brain, not degraded!

If I had lost the reading contest to someone who read more books than I did, my parents would have told me to buck up and read more next time. This BS about coddling your child when the lose something is BEYOND me. I don't get it. And the fact that the FORMER director was acting like a CHILD about the whole thing, gets my goat. She acts like SHE should have won, instead of congratulating Tyler for excelling in reading.

That Librarian was PUSHING the kids to try hard for something they wanted. Not giving it to them on a darned silver platter. And she gets FIRED for it? What sense does that make? I had to work hard, (or pay) for EVERYTHING I ever got or had growing up. Nothing was GIVEN to me. I didn't expect to get anything, unlike the way kids are growing up today. I just don't get it. How can you expect your kids to grow up and be productive adults if you GIVE them everything they ever want, and more? Life isn't like that and it's going to crush some people when they grow up. It's not the kid's fault...I blame their parents. (Sad to say that it's my damned generation that's doing this to the children...I'm ashamed!)

Old 09-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
leaveittoweaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyck View Post
http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/clo...185514741.html

You have got to be kidding me! They want kids to read, but when they reward those that actually get into reading and do good at it, they're frowned upon? Seriously?! I wouldn't be surprised if that young man thinks it's his fault and doesn't want to read as much for fear of causing more problems. UGH! Adults are supposed to act like adults, not sniveling little kids...That was a truly RUDE thing for that woman to say about the young man. He deserves to be praised for wanting to read, and enrich his brain, not degraded!

If I had lost the reading contest to someone who read more books than I did, my parents would have told me to buck up and read more next time. This BS about coddling your child when the lose something is BEYOND me. I don't get it. And the fact that the FORMER director was acting like a CHILD about the whole thing, gets my goat. She acts like SHE should have won, instead of congratulating Tyler for excelling in reading.

That Librarian was PUSHING the kids to try hard for something they wanted. Not giving it to them on a darned silver platter. And she gets FIRED for it? What sense does that make? I had to work hard, (or pay) for EVERYTHING I ever got or had growing up. Nothing was GIVEN to me. I didn't expect to get anything, unlike the way kids are growing up today. I just don't get it. How can you expect your kids to grow up and be productive adults if you GIVE them everything they ever want, and more? Life isn't like that and it's going to crush some people when they grow up. It's not the kid's fault...I blame their parents. (Sad to say that it's my damned generation that's doing this to the children...I'm ashamed!)
That's ridiculous!

Parents are just enabling their children and making it so their children will always expect to just get things without working hard for it.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
sschind
While I agree about parents coddling their kids thing, there wasn't anything that said parents were complaining. It said other kids quit because they could not keep up. That is kids quitting not parents complaining (although it wouldn't surprise me if there was some of that going on as well.

This Gandron woman is a real winner though. I hope any other place she applies for a job that involves children is made aware of her actions here. If I were her I'd be too embarrassed to show my face, although if she wasn't too embarrassed to make the comments I guess showing her face won't be a problem

Old 09-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Mistyck
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind View Post
While I agree about parents coddling their kids thing, there wasn't anything that said parents were complaining. It said other kids quit because they could not keep up. That is kids quitting not parents complaining (although it wouldn't surprise me if there was some of that going on as well.

This Gandron woman is a real winner though. I hope any other place she applies for a job that involves children is made aware of her actions here. If I were her I'd be too embarrassed to show my face, although if she wasn't too embarrassed to make the comments I guess showing her face won't be a problem
That's my point. Why didn't the parents push for their child to finish what they started? That's CODDLING the kid. "Oh it's ok if you quit. You don't have to worry about anything because if you lose, someone will complain and you'll get what you want anyway." People are so self-entitled today, it's unreal!

Gandron should do a real self analysis. She really shouldn't be around kids with that attitude. Sigh

Old 09-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
That's my point. Why didn't the parents push for their child to finish what they started? That's CODDLING the kid.

Gandron should do a real self analysis. She really shouldn't be around kids with that attitude. Sigh

especially with that last line. Maybe she is just burnt out but she should have kept those comments to herself.

So basically the kids that quit were only reading a lot to try to 'win'?

I spent tons of time at the library when I was a kid (latch key kid so had to go there after school pretty much every day). A lot of the 'younger' people I work with don't read much, if at all, I think anything we can do as a society to encourage ALL to read more is a good thing.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
sschind
Quote:
That's my point. Why didn't the parents push for their child to finish what they started? That's CODDLING the kid. "Oh it's ok if you quit. You don't have to worry about anything because if you lose, someone will complain and you'll get what you want anyway." People are so self-entitled today, it's unreal!

That's why I said I agreed with the coddling part. As in yes it is parents coddling their children but it isn't necessarily parents complaining about the other kid.

what you said about Gandron, 100% and then some.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!