Spider wobble - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-27-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
robert7107
Spider wobble

Love the spider morph but concerned about the wobble. Getting back into snakes looking to do a banana morph project and the spider adds such a sick mutation ..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Old 08-27-2016, 11:00 PM   #2
hhmoore
Spiders wobble; so you have two choices: accept it because you like the look, or don't keep them.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:34 AM   #3
Big Borg Reptiles
What Harald said. It's not that the wobble makes them any harder to care for, they're just goofy. If you like how they look and it doesn't bother you then I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
robert7107
I am not quite sure what the cause of it is? Is their a way to keep it from happening? I hear that woma and hidden gene womas get it as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Old 08-28-2016, 05:16 PM   #5
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert7107 View Post
I am not quite sure what the cause of it is? Is their a way to keep it from happening? I hear that woma and hidden gene womas get it as well.
I honestly haven't studied genetics enough to provide a better answer other than that it's just part of the gene. It doesn't matter if it's mixed with other genes and has nothing to do with inbreeding, any time you get a spider morph out it's going to have wobble to some extent. There's also no way to determine how much wobble a snake will have based on the parents; I bred a hidden gene woma male with virtually no wobble and got out a baby that had severe wobble. In the same clutch were two other hidden gene womas with very minor wobble. It's completely random.

There's no way to prevent it, it's part of the gene. Some people think it's from inbreeding or that breeding low wobble animals will get rid of it, but that's wishful thinking. People who say their animals have no wobble are full of it, it's probably extremely low wobble and they aren't experienced enough to pick up on it.

Spider, woma, hidden gene woma, champagne...I want to say there's another I'm forgetting, but they all have some amount of wobble. They're also all lethal in the super form and lethal when crossed together. I highly recommend not breeding any of them together simply from an ethical standpoint.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #6
hhmoore
Also, a very low wobble spider can become a twisting mess (and stay that way) after breeding. I can't/won't say that they all do...but all of mine did.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:46 PM   #7
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Also, a very low wobble spider can become a twisting mess (and stay that way) after breeding. I can't/won't say that they all do...but all of mine did.
I haven't personally noticed that but I can say that low wobble spiders can become high wobble when they get older and vice versa. I've bought big proven breeder spiders with practically no wobble and others that couldn't hold their heads straight. I've also bought snakes as babies that had terrible wobble and it went away as they got older. There's really no way to know.

So like Harald said initially, if you like the gene then that's all there is to it, they aren't any more difficult to take care of, they just have neurological problems and act weird.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #8
mpiccette
My spinner is mostly fine but then after feeding....poor little girl. It's hard to watch. I love having her but probably won't get another.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!