Seeing red - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-13-2008, 05:54 AM   #1
hhmoore
Seeing red

These two are already showing pretty good potential. Keeping my fingers crossed.
This is the female
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
hhmoore
And the male
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
KJUN
I'm pretty much guessing here, but Kingsville/Ginter reds?
KJ

Old 03-13-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
hhmoore
The male is a Kingsville, I believe the parents were directly from John Ginter. (Jim can confirm/deny that when he gets here).
The female - well, to be honest, I thought I had inquired, but I can't even find an email indicating I did...so I sent one off. I will include that info here as soon as I find out for sure. I purchased her from Don Soderberg.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
KJUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
The male is a Kingsville, I believe the parents were directly from John Ginter. (Jim can confirm/deny that when he gets here).
The female - well, to be honest, I thought I had inquired, but I can't even find an email indicating I did...so I sent one off. I will include that info here as soon as I find out for sure. I purchased her from Don Soderberg.
The female is ALMOST DEFINITELY a Crumbly if you got it from Don. THANKS for clearing that up...that is EXACTLY why I resorted to guessing. The female had a blotch pattern like a Crumbly (which is not really seen in Kingsville's), but the male had the coloration of a Kingsville (which is uncommon in Crumbly reds). The male's pattern could go either way, but it definitely looked Kingsville based on that color!

I justed ASS-U-ME'd they were a matched pair, and I was confused by what I was seeing in that pair. THAT'S MY FAULT. Anyway, when I go out to the snake room, I'll snap an image of what is probably a slightly older sibling to that one from Don and tell you a funny story about it........

KJ

Old 03-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
hhmoore
I thought it was a Crumbly..but for some reason I couldn't find anything confirming it (and I haven't had much exposure to reds, so I couldn't have guessed based on appearance).

Old 03-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
God i want reds Harald! I love them Crumbly's But the Kingsvilles are nice too... *sigh* LOOK AT WHAT YOUVE DONE TO ME!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:58 AM   #8
KJUN
Check out this image of a female "improved" Crumbly line. She's 2 years old, and I just "took" her from Don. Don and I have been selectively breeding on Crumbly reds for 3 generations now. We started with a pair of Crumbly reds produced by Scott. I got them from a friend who acquired them from Crumbly by putting a deposit down a year in advance so that he could get the best pair.

OBVIOUSLY, not all of the ones from our line turn out this red. Don still has my original breeders at his place, plus some of his own produced by those original breeders, and at least one I have some type of ownership concern in.

Anyway, the attached image is of one of those that Don actually owns now, but I took on loan to breed back to a male I own next year that is better than my original male. I have one that is likely going to exceed the original male, but Don hasn't gotten a male quite as good as our founder yet.

Anyway, funny story on this female. She surprised up. 2 years ago, I grabbed the best 2 or 3 from the clutch. Don grabbed the best couple, and then we sold the rest. Well, we sold all of the rest EXCEPT this girl. She had NO signs of looking like she'd be a red. She was yellow, plain, and "ugly." Period. I would have sold her to a wholesaler as a normal and never blinked an eye. I certainly wouldn't have sold her as a red. She was that bad looking (as far as "reds" go, anyway).

Well, THANKS TO EVERYONE for not buying the ugly one....lol. She grew in to one of the really red ones. It surprised the heck out of us! There's a funny curve ball for you, eh?

KJ
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
KJUN
By the way, she's not even 2 years old yet (and a little small for her size since we was never pushed for breeding), so she should continue to get more red between now and next spring when I breed her.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUN
By the way, she's not even 2 years old yet (and a little small for her size since we was never pushed for breeding), so she should continue to get more red between now and next spring when I breed her.

oh man.... i WANT that snake!!!! LOVELY!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!