NERD supports Voids and plays with them - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #1
IL_Duca
Jim and a few others of you, I have read many BOI's and other posts on this site that you have participated in. In so much I had thought higher of you. 2 of you even go as far as to keep bashing him even after he remitted and gave an apology. He was belittled because of his age, but were any apologies offered for this? I havent seen any. He was quick enough and man enough at age 16 to remit an offer an apology but you continue on with your ways if it works for you.

Old 07-09-2005, 04:03 PM   #2
Gary O
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL_Duca
Jim and a few others of you, I have read many BOI's and other posts on this site that you have participated in. In so much I had thought higher of you. 2 of you even go as far as to keep bashing him even after he remitted and gave an apology. He was belittled because of his age, but were any apologies offered for this? I havent seen any. He was quick enough and man enough at age 16 to remit an offer an apology but you continue on with your ways if it works for you.

As you seen man Jim O got upset at me for questioning his 5 foot will kill you thing. But he did not read the whole post. But in this very thread he belittled the origanal poster.

It is the way some are man. I wish it were different.

But I agree Dave said he was sorry and more then once. But still getting slammed about his age. he is a memebr of my site TRR and I will say that he is a great member and very polite.

Old 07-09-2005, 05:10 PM   #3
JuliusSqueezer
Jim Jim Jim. If you cannot simply reach up and unwrap a 5 foot carpet python from your own neck when it is squeezing too hard...YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS KEEPING REPTILES The whole carpet python saga seemed a bit dramatized. I agree though about large burms although burms tend to hang rather loosely compared to other boids unless a feeding response is a factor...I actually had to walk next door to get a neighbor to help me get an 8 foot tiger ratsnake off my neck once. He had tied his tail in multiple knots and I was just stuck! lol. ...blasted extra long prehensile tail... I never considered myself in a life threatening situation though and I'll pit an 8 foot tiger rat squeeze against a 5 foot carpet any day.

Old 07-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #4
crazycorn
Jim does it have to be spelled out for you?
Quote:
Lol...

You still do not get it. There is a very important lesson to be learned here. When you make accusations about people it is YOUR responsibility to prove your own accusations to be true. Not ours.

Anyway, after seeing Kara's post I hope this lesson sank in a little bit. This thread should never have been started.

Paul Sage,

Sorry dude but at 16 he is more than old enough to know better. My 10 year old knows better. It seems to me that he thought he had a sure fire hot topic and could not wait to see the fireworks start. Only it blew up in his face.

Lesson learned I hope.
Lets not forget this one......
Quote:
You're right Sammy. I see that now. At first when I saw "crazycorn" I was thinking of "corncrazy" who is someone I had a very pleasant transaction with. I thought that he was maybe their kid or something, so I was a little biased when I posted about granting him some leniency.

He has certainly dug himself a hole here, and when you light fireworks off inside a pit, they're bound to "blow up in his face". Some people just want to make waves, and then sit back and hope the tsunami that results doesn't flood their way. Lol... so now he's lighting fireworks off inside a flooded hole that he dug himself! Don't you just love expressions?
Lets not forget this one......

Old 07-09-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusSqueezer
Jim Jim Jim. If you cannot simply reach up and unwrap a 5 foot carpet python from your own neck when it is squeezing too hard...YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS KEEPING REPTILES The whole carpet python saga seemed a bit dramatized.
Do you know how much unilateral carotid sinus pressure is required to cause bradycardia and syncope? Evidently not as you don't likely know enough anatomy, physiology, or vocabulary. I, on the other hand, have a medical degree and practiced clinical medicine for 17 years so let me help you. The carotid sinus is a collection of nerve endings in the carotid artery. Pressure on the carotid sinus typically results in a slowed heart rate (bradycardia). In some cases, it is sufficient to cause syncope (fainting or loss of consciousness) rather quickly. In fact, in some people with carotid sinus hypersensitivity, a quick turn of the head can result in loss of consciousness. Now imagine a 5 foot constrictor getting a good press on someone like that. It can happen. You want to argue the medical likelihood? Go ahead and do it. But you'd be wrong to say it cannot happen. Because it can, even in a relatively healthy person. That is why I cringe when I see or hear of people allowing constrictors on or near their necks. In the case of the individual in question, I suspect this may have been what happened as he was going down pretty quickly, long before his airway could possibly have been compromised

Old 07-09-2005, 06:57 PM   #6
JuliusSqueezer
I appologize for not responding to this several pages back when it was posted. I was busy elsewhere and got behind. I am aware of how little it takes to cut off carotid bloodflow. I'm also aware of how little effort it takes for a below average strength human being to simply reach back and unwind a 5 foot carpet python.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
Do you know how much unilateral carotid sinus pressure is required to cause bradycardia and syncope? Evidently not as you don't likely know enough anatomy, physiology, or vocabulary. I, on the other hand, have a medical degree and practiced clinical medicine for 17 years so let me help you. The carotid sinus is a collection of nerve endings in the carotid artery. Pressure on the carotid sinus typically results in a slowed heart rate (bradycardia). In some cases, it is sufficient to cause syncope (fainting or loss of consciousness) rather quickly. In fact, in some people with carotid sinus hypersensitivity, a quick turn of the head can result in loss of consciousness. Now imagine a 5 foot constrictor getting a good press on someone like that. It can happen. You want to argue the medical likelihood? Go ahead and do it. But you'd be wrong to say it cannot happen. Because it can, even in a relatively healthy person. That is why I cringe when I see or hear of people allowing constrictors on or near their necks. In the case of the individual in question, I suspect this may have been what happened as he was going down pretty quickly, long before his airway could possibly have been compromised

Old 07-09-2005, 07:13 PM   #7
Jim O
Quote:
I appologize for not responding to this several pages back when it was posted. I was busy elsewhere and got behind. I am aware of how little it takes to cut off carotid bloodflow. I'm also aware of how little effort it takes for a below average strength human being to simply reach back and unwind a 5 foot carpet python.
In the case of carotid sinus hypersensitivity syncope can occur in seconds, long before you have a chance to respond.

Look at this for a pretty impressive report http://www.users.interport.net/w/s/w...ges/ep/csm.htm. More info at http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic299.htm. Suffice it to say that even minor carotid pressure can result in loss of consciousness in susceptible individuals. Once unconscious, it is a bit difficult to remove a snake from a neck. If the snake were so inclined, it could maintain pressure and the result would be death.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:18 PM   #8
crazycorn
I am sorry Jim O, I don't see it being any bit common, I have had plenty of snake wrap around my neck some of those were a 7ft Guyana red tail, 6ft Red tailed ratsnake, and a few others. If you can't get a 5ft carpet off you neck stay outta snakes. Karen you hit this so HARD on the nail its not even funny.

Old 07-09-2005, 05:18 PM   #9
JuliusSqueezer
And about context....this has really been eating at me. Under what conceivable context would photos of children petting cobras be acceptable? A picture says a 1000 words. That may be cliche' but it fits here. Just the mere fact that they held such an event and then posted photos on their website...no "context" can downplay the horror of such a scene.

Old 07-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #10
crazycorn
Quote:
And about context....this has really been eating at me. Under what conceivable context would photos of children petting cobras be acceptable? A picture says a 1000 words. That may be cliche' but it fits here. Just the mere fact that they held such an event and then posted photos on their website...no "context" can downplay the horror of such a scene.
They are just mobbing me to protect NERD, you do not need the context for those photos I was surprised when they asked for it.

Closed Thread