help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
james delauney
help

bought a new dragon , 4 inch baby, but got another one for free, i wasnt expecting this, so i put it in a 35 gallon breeders tank with sliding glass, question is, what wattage should i be using to get this tank warm? im using a 75 watt straight beam lamp, but feel like its to hot, i dont have a therm gun but do have electic thermostats, and i only had one extra non coil uvb light left so i had to go with the double set coil uvb bulbs, i heard it causes blindness but my local pet store sais it will be fine, please help.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Focal
You can get a temp gun from Harbor Frieght on Military Hwy for less than $20. I have one and it's been working great.

Determining which wattage for you will be next to impossible. Other factors like room temp, drafts height of the bulb, etc will play major factors. Your best bet is getting something that can read the temp on the hot spot and adjust from there.

I would buy a light dimmer from Walmart and wire it into an extension cord and adjust the input to the light bulb if the bulb is too hot. I am not really sure how I would use a thermostat because the dragon would most likely lay on the probe which would give inaccurate readings.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
james delauney
thanks, cool to see your from norfolk also, whats your input on the coil uvb bulbs?

Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Mistyck
please don't use them as they hurt the dragons eyes.

Please use the Reptisun 10.0 Florescent TUBE bulb

Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Focal
I use the tube style. He came with the tube style when I got him and I never looked into why the coils should not be used, just told by a good friend not to use them. If you don't care what it looks like, I'm pretty sure Walmart carries the size lamp you need, but I'd go with a bulb like the one Brandy recommended.

Also forgot to mention, I'm using a 150w clear bulb on a 20 gal long now and the temp is spot on. You may need to bump it up some more. They like it hot and should thermo-regulate, just don't give it a chance to burn itself.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
Focal
Oh yeah, Granby High c/o 2000!

Old 01-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
james delauney
I actually stay right bye harbor heights out glen rock , went to booker t but dropped out an got my GED , but I am going To get a thermo gun and another lamp because I have multiple UVB bulbs but only one lamp, sounds like a plan.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
Focal
Right on. If you sign up at harbor freights .com site, you can sign up for their coupons and those guns go dirt cheap sometimes, but I found what looks like the same one on eBay for less. I've calibrated them with other thermometers and its always close. Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!