Bad Guy Caution with Bayareareptiles.com - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #11
MedusaCoils
Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeRacer25 View Post
What was your husbandry like, that could have had a lot to do with it.
I agree! What kind of checking did you do in regard to your husbandry? I really ask, because I purchased a frilled dragon, not from this particular breeder, but from another. He was perfect and healthy, at the place I purchased him from. I got him home, had a similar set up and my husbandry was perfect. My dragon still got sick! It was the compact fluorescent UVB bulb that was making him sick. Something that I would never have suspected on my own. It took someone else that had a similar problem to figure it out.

Just a thought!

Wayne

Old 06-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
civicraper22
BansheeRacer25: that was one of my main concerns. Is everything set up properly. According to what every one had told me including Ray himself he said that yes everything sounded perfect for a healthy animal. But after taking him to a few reptile places they said that the animal was sick from the get go. That in no way or form would he have gotten into that state in just a few days from bad husbandry.

And unfortunately sometimes " some people just get a bad lizard" all the signs were there that i had neglected that the animal was sick and i ignored them all. skinny tail, lethargic.. and i figured well maybe hes just stressed out from the show. well i was wrong and he was indeed not a healthy animal.

MedusaCoils: thats veryyyy interesting i would have never thought myself that the UVB would hurt the animal. But the white throat requires both A and B. so in this case i dont think thats what the problem was.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
BansheeRacer25
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicraper22 View Post
BansheeRacer25: that was one of my main concerns. Is everything set up properly. According to what every one had told me including Ray himself he said that yes everything sounded perfect for a healthy animal. But after taking him to a few reptile places they said that the animal was sick from the get go. That in no way or form would he have gotten into that state in just a few days from bad husbandry.

And unfortunately sometimes " some people just get a bad lizard" all the signs were there that i had neglected that the animal was sick and i ignored them all. skinny tail, lethargic.. and i figured well maybe hes just stressed out from the show. well i was wrong and he was indeed not a healthy animal.

MedusaCoils: thats veryyyy interesting i would have never thought myself that the UVB would hurt the animal. But the white throat requires both A and B. so in this case i dont think thats what the problem was.

I agree you can sometimes get a monitor that is too far gone to recover. But you also said you took the "nicest" monitor at their stand. By "nicest" do you mean most calm or best looking? If you took the most calm that is a bad sign. A healthy monitor will tail whip, huff and puff at you. Also if you have any pics of your setup that would be good.

Cheers,
Bill

Old 06-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
spawn
Need your whole name, Bill.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #15
rosebud945
Quote:
Hon, he didn't mean that the frill didn't need uva and uvb. He meant that COIL type UVB bulbs, that particular UVB BULB, has been known to cause health problems in reptiles and birds, including photo-kerato-conjunctivitis and wasting syndrome.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #16
xanaxez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan T View Post
LOL!!!
i wouldnt laugh bryan, you're more of a lying,picture stealing,scamming scumbag as the rest. i see fauna has let you register. look out people, bryan tipton is another well known piece of work.

sorry for your loss op, i hope he reconsiders and works something out with you on the deceased monitor.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #17
BansheeRacer25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeRacer25 View Post
I agree you can sometimes get a monitor that is too far gone to recover. But you also said you took the "nicest" monitor at their stand. By "nicest" do you mean most calm or best looking? If you took the most calm that is a bad sign. A healthy monitor will tail whip, huff and puff at you. Also if you have any pics of your setup that would be good.

Cheers,
Bill
SOrry about that this is my first time posting on the boi.

Billy Yeastadt.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #18
LauraB
I have to agree with Bill ... when chosing a Monitor (IMO), the most calm and "friendly" could also translate to chosing the one that is sick; lethargy and indifference being symptomatic of underlying health problems.

Was this Monitor represented as CB or WC? Did you ask?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #19
newmann
If the tail is skinny, keep walking

Sorry to hear about your animal. I worked with imports a lot about 15 years ago and if the reptile had gotten to the point that it was using the stored fat in it's tail to stay alive it was going to need a lot of work to pull back to health. I see it all the time at shows. Reptiles can go sometime without enough care, that's how they last the long shipments.

Just want to say no matter how nice it looks if the tail is skinny, keep walking unless you are ready to put in extra care and possible vet treatments.
Amanda Reese

Old 06-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #20
MedusaCoils
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud945 View Post
Hon, he didn't mean that the frill didn't need uva and uvb. He meant that COIL type UVB bulbs, that particular UVB BULB, has been known to cause health problems in reptiles and birds, including photo-kerato-conjunctivitis and wasting syndrome.
This was exactly what I was talking about. I am sorry I wasn't more specific, when I posted. I have a link regarding this. It's a bit old, but the info is still very useful.

Here is the link;

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm

I'm not saying that this is the problem for sure, but just in case you may want to look at it, just in case.

Wayne

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
bay area reptiles, white throat monitor