Need Advice: Shipping 2 Cresties - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
kkreptiles
Need Advice: Shipping 2 Cresties

I have a 7x7x6 insulated shipping box with two 8oz deli cups and a 1/2lbs gel ice pack. The 'customer' sent me this update on temps

Quote:
The weather here is supposed to be in the 80s all week but it looks like it's going to be in the 100s in places like Texas, Arizona, Vegas, etc which I guess they may travel through.
My question is, for more experienced shippers, is it ok to ship them now? Seeing how they'll be shipped overnight and most of their travel will be through night/morning and arrive between 8-10am...?

Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
rcarichter
I wouldn't ship through anywhere that's 100 degrees. Ice packs don't last like heat packs. Another problem you'll have with your setup is that, with 2 ice packs and two deli cups, you're not going to have enough room to put sufficient packing between the gecko and the ice. I like to have at least an inch of packing in between; those ice packs are dangerously cold for the first couple hours. My advice would be to wait until temps are in the 80's, then go with one ice pack. If, for any reason, you decide to ship at these high temps, you should email any guarantee/non-guarantee of live arrival to the buyer. If something goes wrong in the heat, you've tortured a couple geckos and your reputation will have a hard time recovering.

Noelle

Old 08-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
kkreptiles
I have 1 ice pack.... Do I need 2?
We will wait till temps get better then as planned. Just wanted to double before hand though

Old 08-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
rcarichter
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreptiles View Post
I have 1 ice pack.... Do I need 2?
Sorry, I read that wrong. No you don't need two.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
kkreptiles
I need a smaller one actually... That or another shipping box and insulation but then I'd need to pay for double shipping. I could try to make/get a bigger box though...

Old 08-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
kkreptiles
My mom is being no help at all... Asked her for her advice and she's telling me to strap it on top of the box.... Or to the lid of the insulation where it'll be touching them. At the very least, if I get a small enough ice pack I can stick the thing in the corner (The one I have now even fits in that corner but there isn't enough room to comfortably not freeze the geckos to death) and wrap paper towels and such around it so it doesn't completely freeze the geckos...

Is there at any time, a point where you can ship without an ice pack? This is my first time shipping honestly so I was wondering if the temps were in the low 70's or mid 70's all the way across, would they be ok with no ice/heat pack or is it a "under no circumstance should you NOT use one" sort of thing?

We are still waiting to judge when to ship right now anyway and have been for a few weeks so we have time to figure all this out which is why I'm asking now...

Old 08-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
rcarichter
In the 70's you don't need heat or cold. Heat packs actually are taped under the styro lid. cold packs are put in the bottom. Wrag it in paper towel, then put an inch of shredded or crumpled paper on top, then the gecko.

Noelle

Old 08-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
kkreptiles
Ok good to know! Thank you!
When I had ordered a gecko once, the cold pack was on top (actually I think on the side) of it all wrapped in paper towels and had the peanuts in it. If I can't find a small enough ice pack I may see about waiting for the 70's then

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!