lethal and deleterious genes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:46 AM   #1
lilgreenbee
lethal and deleterious genes

Out of the many reptiles being bred these days, I know that some species have morphs that have deleterious/defective genes (is that the right terminology?) and some lethal. The ones I know that either cause defects or are lethal are:

Ball python: Spider, woma/pearl, desert
Leopard gecko: Enigma
Carpet python: Jaguar / Super Jaguar
Boa constrictor: Super Motley

Please correct me if I'm wrong with any of these. I got most of this info from googling. Are there more defects that a potential purchaser, or someone wanting to breed, should know?

Old 01-11-2016, 11:14 PM   #2
Dbz4246
I would recommend asking that question in the appropriate forum of that species, only because I know the problems with ball pythons, and there are way more than just 3 genes that can cause issues.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
lilgreenbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbz4246 View Post
I would recommend asking that question in the appropriate forum of that species, only because I know the problems with ball pythons, and there are way more than just 3 genes that can cause issues.
Will do. With so many morphs of just one species, and many species in captivity, it's good to get info from people who has extensively worked with a particular species.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #4
lilgreenbee
Lightbulb Enigma Leopard Gecko

One of the most common beginner reptiles is the Leopard Gecko, so I think it is very important to mention this morph.

The Enigma Leopard gecko is a dominant morph and is very popular. Enigma on Leopard Gecko Wiki This is good, basic explanation about the Enigma morph, with a brief explanation near the end about the Enigma syndrome.

The Enigma syndrome is the name given to balance and locomotive issues of Enigma leopard geckos. They have, to varying degrees, difficulty moving, and this often increases due to stimuli. They sometimes have difficulty feeding themselves. Here's a well written article on it: Enigma Syndrome in Leopard Geckos: An Autosomal Dominant Disorder

A study was done in the UK on Enigma syndrome: TESS

Always ask about the lineage and health of the parents when looking to buy an Enigma leopard gecko, and don't breed ones with severe symptoms.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:39 PM   #5
lilgreenbee
Enigma Gecko displaying symptoms

Old 02-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
lilgreenbee
Arrow TESS document

I am attaching the The Enigma Syndrome Study results here as well.
Attached Files
File Type: docx The Enigma Syndrome Study Result write up.docx (45.2 KB, 143 views)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
breeding, genetics, health issue, morph