Inquiry John Farr dealings and husbandry practices. - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #21
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
I'm sure he opened it and just playing childish game.
I have to agree.

Anyone who would kill a snake because of mites, has the mentality to play childish games, such as that.

Proper quarantine practices would not have made mites a disaster as he portrayed.

Anyone who vends at reptile shows, knows how easy it is to transfer mites to your own collection without protocols in place to prevent the spread.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #22
kmrkvicka
I am deeply saddened by his actions. If I had sold an animal and found that this was it's fate, I would be devastated. Are mites horrible? yes. Should they be present in collections? no. But to kill animals for that? Just place your collection on QT until the mites are cleared and you are comfortable that everyone is okay.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #23
JColt
Like killing a dog or cat because of fleas. I think he was just trying to get free animals or a discount back on them. Just another loser that the hobby can do without.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #24
Magic
Did I read in those emails that he puts babies down if they're bitey?

What the heck??? Either he's never ever had any babies or had so few that he's still pea green.

It makes me sad that those half dwarves supposedly got "put in a freezer box and collected with the trash" but it breaks my heart to think about that dude putting babies in a freezer if they're edgy or flighty or they like chewing on fingers. All babies do that. It's what babies do.

I've had some of my calmest, most serene juveniles and adults hatch out as squirmy little bitey hellions out of egg. And while some animals, like horses and dogs, do breed temperament true, I honestly say that in my experience, you can't judge that with snakes.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #25
MikeCurtin
Without getting too far off topic, I do believe that one can selectively breed for temperament based on temperament of adults. However, I think it would be irresponsible as a keeper or breeder to sell anything to an individual that volunteers the information that he/she freezes healthy animals because they possess a healthy survival instinct of biting that which they perceive to be a threat.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #26
Jermosh
I agree it could be a selective trait, and as again I should have seen that, I honestly thought he was joking. It was certainly a learning experience for me as this is my 1st year. They also do calm down, one of my most aggressive hatchlings is as calm as his daddy now, I held off on selling him because he would actually launch out of his tub to try to latch on to me. No hissing, no retreat, just launch and coil. He would then make these growling hisses as he was gnawing on my hand or arm, lol. But he changed last week, I opened his tub and he calmly came right up to me and let me rub his chin. Been working with him all week, sweet as can be.

He still has not responded that he knows this is here.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #27
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
Did I read in those emails that he puts babies down if they're bitey?
Damn. Just... damn. I was so flabbergasted that someone would euthanize a snake, and in such an inhumane manner, due to a simple mite infestation that I completely missed his statement:
"When I produce aggressive snakes I freeze them."
the first, second, and third times I read through that conversation.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #28
freedumbdclxvi
Sweet Rao, I missed that, too. I have no words. Well, I do, but I'd get infractions. Wow.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #29
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Damn. Just... damn. I was so flabbergasted that someone would euthanize a snake, and in such an inhumane manner, due to a simple mite infestation that I completely missed his statement:
"When I produce aggressive snakes I freeze them."
the first, second, and third times I read through that conversation.
I recall reading it, but I suppose my brain decided I wasn't reading it right.
I mean, no one would do that ... I guess I was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedumbdclxvi View Post
Sweet Rao, I missed that, too. I have no words. Well, I do, but I'd get infractions. Wow.
I'd get a lot of infractions too.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #30
Magic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake-Queen View Post
I recall reading it, but I suppose my brain decided I wasn't reading it right.
I mean, no one would do that ...

No one with half the sense of a pinky mouse.

Even tonight, hours later, as I'm filling water dishes and telling some of my best (and favorite!) snakes that if they were judged on their neonate and baby attitudes they'd be frozen, I'm still flabbergasted. Seriously! Who does that? I'm all for helping and steering a young (or inexperienced)herper get a snake that's puppy dog tame, but you don't go putting little babies into an ice box because they posture and hiss or chew on you. You respect them for what they are, and remain grateful for your chance to be able to raise such awesome creatures.

There isn't a clutch I've hatched out to date that the wonder of Mother Nature hasn't positively amazed me. Even little $10 normal corns pipping has me positively glowing!! And that's not even the excitement of their first feeds, sheds, and poops! Let alone a valuable snake or Chelonian! Proving hets calls for a celebratory cocktail in my house!

I, too, would be sick if I knew my babies were dumped like that. OP, yeah there were a couple red flags but it's clear you had the best intentions with your babies and your stock. Any shame is on him.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!