This is an emergency!!! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:28 PM   #21
Critterfarm
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus
Thanks so much for the feedback. Samwise is INTELLIGENT. Not only does he eat from my hands and let me rub his head, he comes BACK when he gets out. The first few times..I stressed, but after the second time of him coming back..I stopped "overly" stressing.

However, you are correct and I will see right away (asap) about making adjustments in the pen.

However:

Don't worry about "nitpicking" I am still learning about torts and of course I want mine to have what they need, so that they can stay healthy. But what do you mean about "walls resting on the ground?"

The feet of the doghouse are buried into the ground (and it has a wooden floor, it's not open bottom), so that he would be able to walk right into the house without the need for a ramp. If the feet were on the ground then I would worry about the digging because there would be space for the digging. So tell me what's wrong with the set up?

Thanks

p.s Samwise is more of a climber. He loves trying to climb..I don't think he's discovered digging yet.
Samwise is lucky he found you.

What I meant was the boards used for the outside walls of the pen. It's a good idea to have them sitting on buried brick, or extend them down into the earth with chainlink fencing, or anything 'un-diggable' to discourage Samwise from digging a tunnel under them and into the yard. You can never make a tort pen dig proof, but you can trick the torts into thinking it is Will be especially easy for you if Samwise isn't much of a digger.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:11 PM   #22
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drache613
Hello Deb!
That is so awesome that Samwise is doing SO well now. All of the lighting & everything has really helped out alot. The pen looks great, but I agree, the sides should be higher or he will climb right out!
He looks very healthy now. You are doing a great job!
Tracie
Thanks Tracie, the information that I received from you and others (you know who you are) really helped me stay on the ball as to what was necessary for his well-being. Samwise hasn't been sick in any of the time that I have had him (knock on wood)! Being that I live in MD, it was also easy (we don't have harsh winters) to take him outside and let him roam the yard a bit on warm days.
I'll work on making his pen escape proof and as usual, I appreciate y'all taking the time to make sure I know some things that I may have missed during my research.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:16 PM   #23
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critterfarm
Samwise is lucky he found you.

What I meant was the boards used for the outside walls of the pen. It's a good idea to have them sitting on buried brick, or extend them down into the earth with chainlink fencing, or anything 'un-diggable' to discourage Samwise from digging a tunnel under them and into the yard. You can never make a tort pen dig proof, but you can trick the torts into thinking it is Will be especially easy for you if Samwise isn't much of a digger.
Ah! Thanks! It's clear now.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:30 PM   #24
Drache613
Hello

Hello Deborah,

You have done a great job with Samwise, he is so georgeous. I need to get another turtle.
Good luck with your building! LOL

Tracie

Old 06-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #25
deborahbroadus
I am bad! I already purchased another one from SoCal..a baby Red-foot. I just love them.

Well, after much consideration, measuring cutting and creating, this is what I managed to create...sigh.

I come to find as I was digging for the bricks that the ground underneath is ROCK. He couldn't dig if he wanted to. However, I had had a friend of mind digging the ditch so when I returned he had went ahead and dug to the best of his ability and since he had done all that hard work, I went ahead with the plans (otherwise he would have been PISSED!)

Here's the new pen.

There is some PAM sprayed on the bedding to give him some respite from any ants, flies or other pesty critters. The Kane heat mat will be picked up shortly, and I will install the CHE and tarp before winter.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #26
Drache613
Hello

Hello Deb!!

Hey that looks great, & now Samwise can't escape either.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!