Tortoise Health - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #21
deborahbroadus
I have been looking, and the pic I came across of another cherry head had a very different shell than yours.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=18874

I am seriously out of my depth here and would recommend waiting for Tracy to confirm tha the turtle needs to be seen by a vet if it hasn't already.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #22
baybay
Thanks for your help, i am worried about the whitness of the shell too. Compared to other pictures the pyrimiding looks aculy not that bad. Hopfully i wont need to see a vet but i will if i have too.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #23
deborahbroadus
In the meantime, you could look at the recommended diets and make any needed changes.

Also if there is any heat factors involved, changing things up, doing what you can to make the environment more closely match what's needed.

A pic of your set up, temps and humidity if you posted that, we could compare it with what's recommended. That's what I do when I need help.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:37 PM   #24
baybay
I probobly will be able to post some exact observations about my enclosher later tonight(we have to go to my sisters for thanksgiving dinner/lunch). But i have a 50 wt uvb light(day only) and a 75-100wt(have to check) red light that goes 24 hours a day. I have a screen top so it is about 60-70% humidity.i keep it low to mid 80s during the day and above 75 at night. the diet is mostly romaine,kale, escorole and T-rex turtle pellots.Petco had always used turtle pellots and suggested i kept using those. i feed in as much variety of vegatibles that i can but he mostly eats just the leafs. He is not a fan of new things. Everynow and then i give him freeze dried meal worms and dog food. i really want to start adding some supliments to his food but i really dont know anything about them. I would like to change him to tortoise pellots and some calcium supluments.he is in a 55 gallon aquarium so its about 5.5 feet by 1 foot, by 2 feet high.Hopfully by January i will have him in a 6 foot by 3 foot by 2 foot animal plastics enclosher. Thats what i can remember off the top of my head, i can list the remaining things when i get back to my house late tonight. thanks for everyones help.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:57 PM   #25
deborahbroadus
I reread my books for specific feeding information...yesh..taking care of Samwise is more difficult that I imagined. I need to get these food lists memorized!

I had been giving Samwise Banana and Mango because it wasn't on the forbidden foods list, but just found out that Banana is not encouraged because of the high levels of oxalic acid *this is implicated in the formulation of kidney stones as is Mango. So I am gonna have to feed these two perhaps once a MONTH..because he certainly likes them or cut them out entirely!...boyoboy..these books certainly give out conflicting information!

Old 11-22-2007, 03:02 PM   #26
Drache613
Hello

Hello!

Excellent Deb! I am so glad you are doing research. You are right, unfortunately there are not too many interested in making things better for turtles.
The foods that I would steer away from most of the time would be foods that are high in phosphorus bananas, meats like fish, eggs. The foods high in oxalates I would avoid are raspberries, rhubarb, strawberries.
Mango & Papaya are pretty decent fruits, too.
I am not saying you can never feed any oxalates, just be sparing with them.
Foods that are high in phosphorus & oxalates both, will disrupt the calcium uptake & absorption leaving them vulnerable to metabolic bone disease.
Too much protein can cause kidney stones, as well as interefere in the balance of calcium & other nutrients & put too much stress on the renal system.
A large component of health is fluids daily. That helps keep the GI tract healthy & hydrated so the body can flush everything through correctly.
If you have a dehydrated animal then I would not give much if any protein until the hydration levels are normalized.
The setup looks pretty good Deb. How are the temps today?

Tracie

Old 11-22-2007, 03:06 PM   #27
Drache613
Hello

Hello Deb,

I did forget to say that I wouldn't feed Mango or Papaya more than a few times per month. As long as he is hydrated, there should be no problems.
As far a canned dogfood, etc, I would steer away from that. The commercial pellets are usually pretty good if they are made with timothy hays & grasses, etc that are formulated for turtles.
Sometimes if the mother is not in optimal health when laying eggs, the hatchlings could come out with pre-existing problems with calcium & or other shell problems, too.

Tracie

Old 11-22-2007, 05:04 PM   #28
deborahbroadus
Ok, I have no problem cutting out anything that is not good for him. I orginally thought that banana was not good for him and even stated this in the reptile forum. Then I later came across information that included a list of toxic foods and banana wasn't on THAT list so I thought I might be wrong. I really haven't been feeding it a lot (not making excuses) just mixed in with the food and sprinkled with the vitamins and mashed together. Since I hadn't been getting runny stools and his eyes remained bright and clear..well we can see how wrong I was...appearances can be deceiving.

I thought that the dirt might be irritating his eyes so I switched substrate. He's on aspen substrate now.

Going for a dip in the pool again!

It was warm today (I live in Baltimore) so he got a chance to go outside in his heated playpen and soak in some rays (the heated play pen is a large plastic tub with a small UTH on the bottom of one end so if he needs more heat) In this pic, I let him out to roam the yard for a bit.

As of now, in the tank the temps are..under the bridge 87
over the bridge 93 (turned off the light now)
water is 79
His personal temp is 83

It would probably be easier for the whole world if a simple recipe was made and measurements given..take the feeding controls out of our hands.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:15 PM   #29
Drache613
Hello

Hello Deb,

He looks great, & happy wandering around outside. I think you are doing fine. There are so many caresheets out there that contradict each other it is crazy.
Technically, since bananas are high in phosphorus, you can balance them out by sprinkling some calcium on them to help out.
Thanks for posting the other pics. I think he is going to be fine, & is in good hands with you.

Tracie

Old 11-23-2007, 07:39 AM   #30
baybay
Hi, could you please tell me if anything is wrong with my tortoises shell. i have posted some pictures on pages 3 and 4 and will post more pics or details if you need. Thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!