Animal Law Enforcement Agents - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-30-2004, 07:42 PM   #1
bcherps
Animal Law Enforcement Agents

Oh holy webslave I am not sure if this is supposed to be in BOI or someother place, since I have only started one other thread in my year and half on here, which I think was in the wrong place too. If it needs to be moved please tell me so I can repost it in the proper place and erase this one. Thank you

This is mainly for the Florida dealers/breeders.

I have been in Florida now a little over 2 years. When I first arrived everyone mentioned about how the FWC, IF&W, or whatever you want to call them sets up stings, baits people, plays permit nazi at shows, and is a general stickler when it comes to home inspections. So I didn't know what to expect when I started sending in for permits and doing shows.

Well low and behold I went to a show and was watching a friends table while he was gone(before I had my own permit). The inspectors came by and wanted to see a permit. I told him I was watching the table while my friend was gone. So they proceeded to berate me up one side and down the other, and actually wrote the other guy watching the table with me a warning, and said if we didn't have the permit the following day we would be shut down, arrested, and taken to court then probably fined.

So, whatever, we got the permit from my friend an all was well. So a few shows go by and I become a little less leary of the inspectors again. So I am at a little tiny mixed pet show and a non-reptile person shows up with a retic that looked worse than my roadkill ratsnakes that I use for scenting that I keep in my freezer. It was a bag of skin with a spine, had a 45 degree depression that used to be a nose, a stuck on shed, and was infested with mites. This person had the nerve to put it on her table for sale.

When the officers came by and rudely interuptted me educating a customer on thier new purchase to demand to see my permit immediately. I informed them of the condition of the animal, and that it was unfit for sale, likely to die, and had been more than neglected. I asked that it be removed from the show. They looked at me and replied "Oh, we can't do that". So I asked them why they would not do anything about this animal abuse. They said they were only thier to check permits and not investigate animal abuse cases, and certianly could not remove an animal from the show.

So my inquiry is why in the heck do we have these people around?

I was sent a letter buy some official stating why all of our permits went up like 2000%. In it all it could do was state that we had not had permit fee increasesin like 30 years and that this money would employ agents to do home inspections, and caging checks for venomous owners, and that in the long run this would benefit the animals and the keepers who house them properly.

Well here is two officers standing 25 feet from an animal that is clearly going to die becuase of an owners ignorance and/or laziness and they refused to do anything about it.

So here is another inquiry. Can these officers really do anything except enforce the fact that you have paid them your permit fee or not.

Again I hope this is in the right place. I thank everyone that can give me some pertinent information.

Benjamin Cole

Old 04-30-2004, 07:46 PM   #2
bcherps
sorry for all the typos-hit send before I proofed it.

Benjamin Cole

Old 04-30-2004, 08:32 PM   #3
KNOBTAIL
BENJAMIN, When you say your friend

had gone, How long was he gone? Its one thing to watch a table while someone has lunch, makes a pit stop, etc. but if he left the table without maintaining a permit on the premise, then I can understand that a problem could arise. But their is never any excuse for rudeness regardless what uniform they wear, and I would not hesitate to tell them so. JERRY

Old 04-30-2004, 08:42 PM   #4
Ghi Reptiles
Hey Benjamin,

Well from what I hear too, they are really cracking down on the permit issues. Make no mistake about it though there were probably other agents there too checking out the other stuff. I have also heard that at larger shows they might take offenders directly to a court situation in order to keep them from 'skipping out' on the fine. This rumor was going around at the Daytona show last year, don't know if it happened to anyone but the rumor was there.

As far as the agents only enforcing the permit issues, I think they can do just about anything they want but probably had a specific goal in mind....to check and enforce the permits or lack there of. They are very tough here in Florida so the best thing to do is conduct your business very professionally and properly and don't make waves and all should be fine. If you don't follow the rules, they can make it very tough for you.

My two cents

Old 04-30-2004, 09:26 PM   #5
KNOBTAIL
MATT, what you are referring to may

pertain to out of state vendors. Not Fla resident vendors. But the fact remains their is a code of conduct believe it or not. One of these days, one of these overzealeous officers may become liable for their actions.

Old 04-30-2004, 09:30 PM   #6
bud mierkey
Thumbs up They do their job.

Hey Benjamin,
There are a lot of crooks fly by nights that get away with breaking laws all over but when they come here to the sunshine state they better have their papers up to date.
I pay my state fees and I expect it to be used properly.
That means ENFORCMENT.

I feel if you did not have a valid permit or license The inspector has the right to bust you plain and simple.
They were NICE to you!

my 2 cents

Old 04-30-2004, 09:35 PM   #7
Ghi Reptiles
Hey Jerry,

I heard it was because of the out of staters but am glad to hear it does not affect Florida vendors!

Old 04-30-2004, 09:49 PM   #8
evansnakes
It isn't their job to do anything about animals health. They are there only with the authority of their jurisdiction to enforce laws that apply to native animals and state animal regulations on commerce. Animal health issues are for the animal control officers, humane society and others. It would be nice if that show promoter gave a damn about the condition of the animals at their show though.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:23 PM   #9
gila7150
Evan is exactly right. FWC officers are not responsible for the health of exotic animals sold at a herp show. Your beef should be with the seller and the promoter of the show who allowed this animal to remain on display.

Their job at these shows is simply to enforce permits...so essentially you are complaining because they did the job they're paid to do. I don't get it.

Old 05-01-2004, 12:51 AM   #10
BossReptiles
Its true that they have to enforce their permits. I totally agree with that, since it does serve a purpose.

But wow these FWC guys can pack a hell of an attitude on them. You can have all the proper paperwork and theyll bitch and scream at you if its not in the right order and that right order changes on a daily basis.Haha, they can be a trip.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!