Need Opinions on "best" digital camera - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:07 PM   #1
cavu
Need Opinions on "best" digital camera

Let me start by saying I have been a professional photographer since 1968. For years I used Nikon exclusively as my 35mm system and Mamayia and Bronica as my medium format systems. I started using digital cameras when they first came out (much to the dismay of my editors sometimes) and have been thru about four cameras. In am currently using a Nikon 5700, but it just does not feel right and I consider it very slow. I am considering a SLR type camera, but just don't know where to start. As would be expected from a Nikon user, In am attracted to the D70, but then I was not real happy with my F5 so maybe I need to look at other brands. I shoot a wide spectrum of subjects, but speed of use, thru the lens viewing (real time) and recovery time between shots is important. Macro is a must, but i can do that with different lenses or add on attachements.

Any of you guys or gals want to jump on this one?

Old 12-13-2004, 02:57 AM   #2
John316
Canon Digital Rebel SLR ROCKS!!
I've had mine since April (Best Buy) and it takes absolutely unbelievable photos. I would definately consider this camera before you make a final decision.
Pros: Immaculate pictures, fully adjustable shot settings, relatively fast continuous shooting, massive array of lenses available, decent software bundle, extremely long battey life, fully automatic setting until you get the hang of it, feels good in the hand and on and on...
Cons: Plastic composite body. I would prefer a magnesium body but the camera more than makes up for it with its' other capabilities.
Check into the Quantaray line of lenses for a decent quality at a realistic price. They are available at Ritz camera and support the autofocus feature of the Rebel.
John316

Old 12-13-2004, 04:14 PM   #3
Chance
I am in full agreement with Cynthia. We've had out Digital Rebel SLR for over a year now, and it is just awesome. It takes some amazing photos. Just to give you a bit of perspective, Mike Wilbanks (Constrictors Unlimited) uses a Digital Rebel for many of his shots. Take a look at his website (constrictors.com) and you'll see what kind of quality they can produce.
-Chance

Old 12-13-2004, 04:28 PM   #4
beakgeek
If you are a professional then get the professional grade Canon or Nikon. The Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II is the top of the line professional DSLR. 16.7 megapixels, and the Canon L series EOS lenses, including the 100 f/2.8 macro, should give you what you want.

Both the Nikon D70 and the Canon Rebel are great, but they are not the same as the professional grade Nikon D2x or the Canon 1Ds Mark II.

Regards,

Terry

Old 12-13-2004, 04:43 PM   #5
John316
I believe the gentleman is using a point and shoot digital at the current time. If he is relatively pleased with the results then he should be more than happy with either of the entry level digital SLR cameras mentioned.
From what I've seen (8 x 10 comparisons) it is hard to justify paying many thousands of dollars more for the top of the line unless you are printing a billboard sign LOL! In addition, if photos are taken in RAW format, the file utility software that comes with the Rebel allows the photo quality to be manipulated to the point where the amateur/professional line becomes almost nill.
Just my humble opinion
John316

Old 12-13-2004, 04:47 PM   #6
John316
By the way we forgot to mention that the Rebel with lens retails for about $995.00 while the 1DS MarkII usually can be had for around $7,995.00 if you shop around.
That may make your decision a bit easier LOL
John316

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!