Rodents Dieing Off???? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:42 PM   #1
Tripple H Herps
Rodents Dieing Off????

Hey,
I just wanted to start by saying I have been doing this for a very long time and know all the requirements for rat and mice, to thrive. So that’s not the type of answer I am looking for. I had no large rats to feed my snakes. So I had (about two months ago) received two rats from a petsmart. I was going to feed them to my snakes but they were huge. These two rats were supposedly left by the petsmart with a bunch of other animals in a shopping cart. Well I decided since the two rats looked like substantial breeders, I would introduce them into my colonies. This turned out to be a big mistake. With in one month both rats died with a little blood on there mouths. This got me worried and I checked over my facility real weel and cleaned out my rat and mice containers. I did not have many, only a couple of rats and a couple of mice at the time so I was not worried. Well these animals were eventually fed to my animals after a week of no signs of illness. My reptiles are complete healthy and in perfect shape. So no worries there. However about two weeks ago I purchased two mice, these two mice were in good health. After another two weeks of raising them to be breeders, they both died off, in the same exact manner. So I decided I would just throw out those containers. However this is where the problem comes in. I had some pet sugar gliders sitting in the same room. Somewhere along the lines of 13. Well none the less they are all dead now but one (which appears perfectly healthy). I do not sell mammals THANKFULLY. I have noticed nothing wrong with any of my reptiles. However they are kept in a separate room anyways just incase. What I am worried about is the possibility of this spreading to animals like my dog, cat, or other exotics. My mammals are in a current (lock down state). All vaccinations have been verified up to date & the room is being completely cloroxed. I take disease VERY seriously & will not allow an out brake in any one of my animals. Not even my feeder mice! What I want to know, is if this has happened to anyone else? Maybe a colony of rats die off or something. Since sugar gliders are very similar to rats (the way they look...lol), I can almost understand it. It would really make sense if this problem came form PetSmart! I would appreciate any input.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
Wilomn
Get necropsies done.

Don't freeze the bodies if you still have them but even if you did, have them checked anyway.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:27 PM   #3
DAND
I have never heard of what you are describing happening before.

I'd go with Wes' suggestion. If you don't have anything left you may try buying a mouse of two and see if it happens again. If it does, then have necropsies done on them.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:33 PM   #4
Tripple H Herps
Yeah, I immediately disposed of the bodies. Didn't think of a necropsy since I import animals. When I get deaths I just dispose and clean up immediately. It becomes an immediate habit, to prevent spread of worms, and disease that you get fresh from Ghana and Surinam...lol I will go ahead and purchase some mice and put them into the cleaned up room and observe them. If they die I will get an immediate necropsy on them. I REALLY hope I either stabilized it or this was simply a coincidence & chain of problems, within two separate species that broke out with in a short time period.... (or at least I am hoping)
Jim

Old 02-22-2005, 10:40 PM   #5
DAND
Good luck. Keep us updated on what happens.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:43 PM   #6
Tripple H Herps
I apreciate it. I will let everyone know if the mice die or not. If they do I will get a necropsie and publish the results.
Jim

Old 02-22-2005, 10:44 PM   #7
Tripple H Herps
Unfortunatly though I am already out $1600. So I lost out doesn't matter what

Old 03-17-2005, 02:42 AM   #8
pamelajh
Well if you import on a regualar basis and just get rid of the animals if they die, how would you find a problem or know if there really is one? I don't mean to be a witch but I think you should reconsider owning these animals.

Old 03-17-2005, 07:41 AM   #9
akaangela
Have you talked to Pet Smart about this? I dont know if it would help or not but it would very good of you to let them know something is going on with their animals. I know the next advice wont be really helpful but thought I would add it. There is a virus (but I dont remember what it is) that can kill quickly. I saw something mentioned on one of my rat forums and it spreads very very easy. I am sure you have done a search on this and I know it is not very specific... but it is late. I am sorry for your loss. I really hope you find out what hapened. Have you talked to the vet and asked what might be that transfurable? Good luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!