CB black throats - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Ntyvirus
CB black throats

Since Tanzania is going to be closed for export for who knows how long anybody know anybody that deals in cb babies?

Old 04-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Dana C
I just looked at every source I could find but found nothing about Tanzania ending exports of most species. They have banned the export of some species since 1992 and have added a few since.
I would love to read more on this if you have a source for your information.
You may want to try Varanus. net in your search for CB non imports.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Ntyvirus
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14577065 = article outlining what was smuggled out of Tanzania

Old 04-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Dana C
I re-read that and now I am wondering if it applied only to wild caught animals. I know that all the Black Throats imported for the last couple of years are actually captive bred on farms.
Have you contacted any of the reptile sellers?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Ntyvirus
it applies to any animal going out of Tanzania so regardless if its field collected or farm raised if it's in Tanzania it's staying there. Ive sent out several emails and talked to a bunch of people and the going consensus is that nobody has them. I figured there has got to be at least 1 person that either has some babies or some cooking in the incubator.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
Dana C
I checked as well. The ban is as you described. I have a male yearling that is a great guy. I will check around for you as well.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
Dana C
Tanzanian export ban

Given the Tanzanian export ban, I wonder what the future holds for Black Throat ownership. If I am not mistaken there are very few breeders in this country if there are any at all. While I did a little research which indicated that Black Throats could be found in a couple of East African countries other than Tanzania, none of the dealers I spoke to have every imported any from anywhere else other than Tanzania.

One would think that the situation would lite a fire in captive breeding of V. ionidesi. If any one has an idea if or when the Tanzanian situation will be resolved I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Dana C
No Black Throats

I wanted to fire this topic up again.

With no newly imported Black Throats hitting the market anytime soon, I would like to hear from anyone out there what they think the future holds for Black Throat ownership. I have noticed that the resale prices of Black Throats has gone up very fast with asking prices moving to the $600 range.

Are the prices going up from there?
Is this going to create a captive breeding boom?
Are there any breeding populations outside of Tanzania? I think I read that another eastern Africa nation may have a small population but can't confirm it.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
Chris Wilkinson
I cheked also with few Herp distributera I know and all are in agreement nothing will move out of Tanzanain anytime soon. He was aslo trying to locate another Africain country but has had no luck so far. Looks like Black Throats will be up around 1000 pretty soon. Glad I have my 13 month old Black Throat. I got him last year and man is he a blast well over 48 inches and still busting a new shed every other week. Good Luck

Chris Wilkinson, Meadow Lakes, Alaska

Old 07-22-2012, 03:45 AM   #10
Virus
I take it nobody has found sources for juvenile black throats still? Perhaps even just breeders?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!