Dayton OH - Proposed pet ban - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-18-2004, 05:48 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
Dayton OH - Proposed pet ban

Dayton moves to put reins on exotic pets
By Jim Bebbington

Dayton Daily News

DAYTON | The city has resumed its effort to stem the flow of wild, dangerous animals being kept as pets and heard conflicting advice Wednesday from dueling animal enthusiasts on whether a ban is needed.

The Dayton City Commission heard a first ordinance banning dangerous or vicious animals as pets in the city and requiring exotic or wild animals to be controlled at all times.

City officials said they have had to propose the restrictions because of the growth in the use of wild animals, such as tiger cubs and venomous snakes, as pets.

Critters banned under the ordinance would include lions, tigers, bears, wolves, badgers, snapping turtles, monkeys, alligators, venomous or constricting snakes, sharks, piranhas, scorpions and venomous spiders.

The ordinance would also require owners of dangerous dogs — those that bite without provocation — to keep them secured on the owner's property or have them muzzled in public.

Tim Harrison, public safety officer for Oakwood and operator of outreachforanimals.org, praised the proposed Dayton ordinance because he is often called into Dayton to trap dangerous snakes and cougars.

"I have never had anyone say 'can I have my cobra back' or 'can I have my cougar back,' " Harrison told the city commission. "They all have to be put down."

But Dayton resident Craig Clay, a member of the Miami Valley Reptile and Amphibian Society, said the ordinance bans some animals that are not a realistic threat to anyone.

"If a person can register and own a handgun in his house he should be able to have a venomous reptile in his house," Clay said.

Before the ordinance is put up for vote, the language may be modified slightly because of concerns that is it too broad, City Manager Jim Dinneen said.

Contact Jim Bebbington at 225-2262.

Link to story (requires log in)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!