Using your real name? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 07-08-2003, 10:58 AM   #1
sschind
Using your real name?

There is not much that is ambiguous about this requirement but I see one thing that bothers me.

I know that Rich is very busy (espescially now when he has to be watching for my babies to hatch) and he can't catch everything, I understand that. My main question come from those people who are have two names in the signature. A husband and wife, or partners perhaps. We don't actually know who wrote the post in question. I've seen it before where someone says, "Oh that wasn't me that was so and so" as sort of a means to get them off the hook. I don't se a problem with the double signature, I just think that the actual poster should have to sign his or her name to the post.

I won't post the three that leap to mind, and with two of them I don't have a problem because they are well behaved, and well respected (by me at least) and they keep their comments on topic. The third is from a person or persons with a less than savory reputation on this forum and the deception of not knowing who is writting the posts only serves (IMHO) to make them look worse.

Like I said, no big deal, just an observation while I had a little time to kill.

Steve Schindler

Old 07-08-2003, 11:53 AM   #2
Darin Chappell
Excellant point! Usually, I believe I can tell whether a man or woman is writing in those posts that cause some questions (again, not mentioning any names), but that is probably very sexists and overly assuming on my part. A signature to let us all know to whom it is that we are talking would not be a bad idea at all.

Old 07-10-2003, 10:57 PM   #3
John Apple
Just a personal opinion here.......,but I think every post that sells or inquires or any post on this site should have your FULL name somewhere on the post. Just a way of being up-front and all

Old 07-10-2003, 11:16 PM   #4
Uffern
Quote:
every post that sells
I agree entirely.

Old 07-13-2003, 11:52 AM   #5
Glenn Bartley
I like the idea of using ones name in the signature. I too think it ought to be mandatory for all posts, but at the same time I have my doubts as to whether or not that means you know who wrote the post. Let me give a few brief examples, but let me also preface the examples by saying yes I use my real name:

1) Glenn R. Bartley signs up for faunaclassifieds.com using his real name in his signature. He signs all post with his signature. So that is good and it works for me.

2) Snidely Whiplash signs up for faunaclassifieds.com and from day one he uses the name Dudley Do-Right. He then goes on posting hundreds of posts under the name of Dudley Do-Right and how are we to know that it is actually Snidely Whiplash who is posting?

3) Boris Badenov and Natasha (husband and wife - I think) sign up for fc using both names in their signature and either one can sign on and leave a message. They always use the same computer but always sign their own respective name in their posts. Recently though Boris has become bored. So now, he sometimes gets frisky at faunaclassifieds and writes in Natasha's writing style just to be mischievious!

So how would we know that any of the above is actually happening? If someone is being honest that is great but if someone wants to use an alias how would we know?

Best regards,
Bartley, Glenn

Old 07-13-2003, 12:04 PM   #6
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Boris Badenov and Natasha (husband and wife - I think)
Natasha's last name is Fatale, so I'm pretty sure their not married, but I have to appreciate a good Rocky and Bullwinkle reference no matter where it appears.

Old 07-13-2003, 12:06 PM   #7
Glenn Bartley
Common law after being together for 30 to 40 or more years.

Old 07-13-2003, 01:10 PM   #8
Uffern
Quote:
if someone wants to use an alias how would we know?
Well, we wouldn't, but that doesn't seem to make anyone think that the BOI shouldn't have full names required. Why should it deter the classifieds from requiring full names as well? I know I would be much more willing to consider buying from John Doe as opposed to IBlowUpFrogs4875.

Old 10-20-2003, 01:58 AM   #9
snkkpr01
Wow never thought about it

I guess that I have never thought about this. Since my signature line uses mine and my wifes name. The reason is thats the business name. I am the only one that uses fauna so I guess for us its ok. She has logged on a few times ( as a guest) she was looking for birthday and christmas gifts for me.

I do agree with some of the arguments and for that I will sign my name prior to puting up my signature.

Darin Gray

Old 10-20-2003, 04:32 PM   #10
Missymonkey
What about posting IP addresses?

I don't know anything about IPs but have heard people looking into questionable persons and mentioning that a particular IP has several names connected to it... I wouldn't even know how to find my IP, but it's just a thought

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!