Hypos, I want them - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
Hypos, I want them

Not interested in buying them, but I am interested in seeing them, and hearing the nature in which the mutation passes along. I am doing a little comparison thing, and it needs to start with info and pictures people won't mind me keeping and possibly sharing at a later date.

All species should be included, although I have a particular interest in Boinae.

So if you have a picture of Hypomelanistic Colubridae, or Pythonidae, or Drymarchon, or Crotalinae, etc, please share them, the species name and explain weather the nature of the mutation is Recessive, Dominant or Co-Dominant. If this particular species has had genetic sequencing or profile testing done, a link to that info would be great also.

I'm trying to do a little comparison on how hypomelanism expresses itself among the different species. Not a research paper or anything, just something my mind has been wondering about.

Appreciate the help.
Rick

Old 04-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
TripleMoonsExotic
I'll help you out, Rich...

Cornsnakes have four (that I'm aware of) recognized forms of Hypomelanistic...

Hypo -> Recessive -> Pics
Lava -> Recessive -> Pics
Sunkissed -> Recessive, also considered a pattern mutation -> Pics
Ultra -> Recessive, also co-dominant to Amel -> Pics

Old 04-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
Thanks Steph. Took a quick peek, I'll get a better look at them after work later.

Appreciate the input.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
crotalusadamanteus
Back to the top.

No body else has Hypo Critters? Geckos, Bullsnakes, Rattlers, ANYTHING?

Old 06-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
Southern Wolf
I have the same hypos that Steph has... so I cant be of any help.... unless you count salmon boas.... but you should have some of those

Old 06-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
IMO Salmons are Hypo, but not. They're something a little different, although hypo as well. But yeah they count too.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
PyBoa1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
IMO Salmons are Hypo, but not. They're something a little different, although hypo as well. But yeah they count too.
Would you mind explaining this? I purchased what was billed as a Co Dominant Salmon. Then I have read that people use this term (Co Dom)a bit to loosely and may not even be true. So what I want to know is do I have a Co Dom Salmon, a Salmon or just a Hypo?

By the way, she is pictured right here and in my photos.
Thanks alot in advance.

Kevin

Old 06-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyBoa1964 View Post
Would you mind explaining this? I purchased what was billed as a Co Dominant Salmon. Then I have read that people use this term (Co Dom)a bit to loosely and may not even be true. So what I want to know is do I have a Co Dom Salmon, a Salmon or just a Hypo?

By the way, she is pictured right here and in my photos.
Thanks alot in advance.

Kevin
Well, I was going to get all my ducks lined up first, but what the heck.

Ever noticed how in other species, that Hypomelanism effects ALL the blacks on the critters body fairly evenly? I mean ALL the blacks are faded, or muted, or whatever term you prefer. A complete and literal "reduction" of melanin throughout the critters body. Sorta fits the literal definition of the word too. Hypomelanistic = Reduced Melanin.

Salmons and Hypos don't necessarily have that same even spread. I've seen some with no black and some with plenty of black, some that it's ALL reduced, and some where it ain't all reduced. Pretty variable in other words. Also, Hypomelanism is a proved recessive trait in the other species, so why would it change all of a sudden with Boas? So that is what I mean by Salmons are Hypo, but not.

You know what does fit the Hypo bill though? What is being called a T+ Albino. It's a recessive trait, that as far as I can tell, effects the whole body evenly. A complete reduction of Melanin. It's my belief that these are truly Hypomelanistic Boas, rather then T+ Albinos. Heck, I haven't seen one yet with Albino eyes. But maybe there is some.

But you know what does have albino eyes? What is being called a Paradox. It's an Albino, but it obviously is able to synthesize Tyrosine, or there would be no blacks. Wouldn't that make it T+ Albino?

I could be all wrong on that, but something about those three mutations has always not sounded right to me.

As for the Co-Dominant thing. There is a rule, and all the wishful herpers in the world can't change this rule, no matter what web site they direct you to.

When you breed two Co-Dom hets together, you will get 3 distinctive phenotypes. And by distinctive, I mean even a person that does not follow snakes, will be able to see there are 3 different kinds of animals. (Mendel says so) I use Motleys for an example a lot, because it's the only Boa I know that follows the rule. You breed two Het motleys together, you get WT, Motley and Super Motley. 3 distinctive forms, none looking alike. This is not so with Salmons and Hypos. So IMO they are a Dominant mutation. Maybe incomplete Dominant, but most certainly NOT Co-Dominant.

Hope that don't mess you up even more.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
PyBoa1964
Thanks for the info Richard and I see your point with the hypomelanism.
As for the hypo and salmon, still thinking on that one I do get where you are coming from with using the motleys as an example. Again, thanks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!