Need Help Identifying Morph - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
Jungle Trunk
Need Help Identifying Morph

I got this gecko at a reptile expo. I never had a gecko before and always wanted one then when I saw her at the show I couldn't resist myself. I was busy asking questions about their caring needs that I forgot to ask what morph she is. I paid $35 for her.. good, bad, decent price? I should say that these pictures of her were about a month ago. She shed now, her body is way yellow or brighter and the blue up by her eyes is more blue and dusted with black specks.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
NCGeckos
Eclipse

Looks like some sort of eclipse to me. Probably a hypo eclipse. The black eyes and tiny freckles on the tail indicate eclipse.
Really looks like it could use some meals...I'm sure you've corrected that by now though. I always cringe when I go to shows and see geckos that look like they haven't eaten in weeks.
Just make sure it has plenty of fresh water and good quality food available and it'll do fine.

John

Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Jungle Trunk
Alright, cool.

Yeah I noticed she was kind of skinny too. I don't think it's normal to be able to see their spine like that. I've been trying to beef her up. I have a bowl of meal worms and I offer crickets every day but she doesn't always eat them. At night I've seen her scoping out her dish with the worms and sometimes they'll be fewer in the dish the next day but I haven't actually seen her eat them. I offer wax worms sometimes too and leave them in her dish over night. She's only ate one of those a long time ago. She poops though so she must be eating but she's just not getting nice and plump and healthy looking like the others I see for some reason

Old 04-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
snowgyre
Hi Steph,

Beautiful eclipse you've got there. Looks like she's got 100% black in both eyes! A skinny tail could also indicate dehydration. You're not keeping her on sand, are you? Always offer a water bowl, a calcium dish, and I've used Reptibark or paper towels with great success.

If she's eating and pooping regularly, I wouldn't worry too much. She might be putting all her calories into growth right now. She's at an awkward juvenile stage, so it may take her a bit longer to get chunky than an older gecko.

$35 for an eclipse is a good price, especially with two completely black eyes! Too bad she's so skinny, but that'll change with some proper feeding and time. ;-)

Old 04-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Ninerizer
Substrate for leopard Geckos

I just read in another post that sand was not good for leopard Geckos. I read in a book somewhere calcium sand was best. Please let me know everyone opinion on this and also everyones experience with this.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
Ninerizer
OOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSS

sorry i am new and was trying to post a new post and not reply....sorry

Old 04-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
snowgyre
Calcium sand is terrible stuff. Don't use it. If you want a natural looking substrate, use aspen shavings, Reptibark, or cocohusk. Papertowels or fake grass are fine too.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:09 AM   #8
Ninerizer
looking for the best substrate....dont care what it looks like!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
snowgyre
"Best" has a fairly subjective definition. I use paper towels in my racks, but they're hardly attractive. If you have a display cage, then you'll want something that is functional and pretty. I would probably use ReptiBark in that situation, since it's pretty, easy to clean, and harmless to your gecko. The chips are large enough that the gecko will not swallow them by accident. However, you may have to use a feeding dish so that crickets can't hide, and mealworms and roaches can't burrow and get away from your gecko.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!