senegal chameleons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-24-2005, 06:57 AM   #1
greg4000
senegal chameleons

i was wondering if anyone out there knew if breeding the senegals was anything like breeding veileds. i am a snake guy by heart, but i am trying to help my eight year son. i know senegals arent the most desireable, but to me a herp is a herp, and my son loves them. i feel a successful breeding project with these two would start a greater appreciation for our animals and to get interested in captive propagation for conservation. any info or links to a good source would be great. thanks alot
greg von bruchhaeuser

Old 06-24-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
JasonDescamps
Unfortunately most senegals come in very heavily parasitized and most do not acclimate well to captivity. Not to say that it shouldn't be tried but it is very important to take your time on the acclimation process and have the animals checked regularly by a vet. Breeding will be a bit more involved than a veiled but not too difficult if you can get them properly acclimated.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:04 AM   #3
greg4000
actually, the female i have had for over a year, and the male is pushing six months. i think ive gotten past the point of acclimating. most of the info ive read on veileds is specific to the point where it even gets down to what colors they in response to what mood they are in. its hard to what temps to incubate at, or what colors or moods to look for to see if they are even interested in mating. i guess i will just have to watch and see. thanks
greg von bruchhaeuser

Old 06-24-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
JasonDescamps
Unfortunately you aren't going to find that much info on breeding senegals. Certainly not to the point of veileds. They do exhibit some subtle color changes when they are receptive but usually only in the presence of a male. Incubation temps should be in the mid to high 70's and could croos into the low 80's without too much trouble. Incubation time will vary but will average around 7 months.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
studiocham
Here is a site about breeding Senegals:

http://easyreptiles.co.uk/chameleon/senegal/breeding/

I had my WC senegals a long time, too. I still have one 4 and 1/2 year-old male (red eye morph). Mine were all 7-9 grams when I got them, which gave them an advantage in acclimating. Most adult Senes are too far gone to save, by the time they hit retail. When CH or imported young, they make fantastic pets and are very hardy. They do get some amazing colors during breeding, and in the shade (blue dorsal diamonds and orange toes). A friend in CA has some CH due any day now, and the dams are fine. I can give your email to her, if you want to ask questions.

We call our male the Ambassador, because he's very friendly and calm, and less "scary-looking" (to visitors) than the giant melleri.

Kristina

Old 07-10-2005, 07:58 AM   #6
greg4000
i have one more question if anyone can answer. how do you sex them?
thanks
greg von bruchhaeuser

Old 07-20-2005, 05:52 PM   #7
studiocham
If there is any question, you either have juveniles or a group of females. The males have very obvious hemipenal bulges, nearly 2/3 the width of their tailbases. There is no question.

Also, female Senegals grow faster and larger than males ever do. My male is only half the size of some females less than half his age. They are the opposite of panthers and veileds, in this respect.

Kristina

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!