rusty pacific gopher? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-01-2003, 11:21 AM   #11
Ken Harbart
Okay children, we can either play nice, or not play at all. I just deleted two replies to this thread for good cause. I have a fairly high threshold, but there's a few things I won't let slide, regardless of who pissed in who's Wheaties initially. There is to be no posting of obscene pictures, and no profanity. Understood?

Old 09-01-2003, 06:08 PM   #12
diablohogs
Thumbs down is that fair?

well i had a nice rebuttle to seamus' inappropriate response to my post but as you can see they have been deleted. thats okay because enough people read them to know my stand. evey time i post a picture or something seamus can't help but jump on there and try to smear my name thru the mud because he's still upset that i'm among the growing numbers of faunaclassifeds members that have pointed out what a jackass (a jackass is a animal) he is. its to bad that the moderater couldn't have left up at least my verbal response to seamus. oh well. the select few of you out thier who got to read it makes it somewhat worth it. a few questions to anyone who feels they have a good enough understanding of color mutations to answer...

1. what does brown pigment have to do with melanin?
2. a nice looking anery also has no brown... i s'pose thats because it to is a hypomelanistic despite the fact that it is only showing melanin pigment? (dripping with sarcasm)

in other words anery is the retardation of red and brown pigment (type A) hypomelanistic is the retardation of melanin (black pigment). admitingly thier are examples out thier of snakes that don't have brown or black but than again you need to ask yourself...did the snake have any brown pigment to begin with?

p.s.s. i understand. i did it knowing it was the wrong thing to do but felt it was justified in some sense so i did it anyway.

p.s. moderator why don't you delete seamus' inappropriatly insulting post as well. wouldn't that be the fair thing to do??????

Old 09-01-2003, 08:06 PM   #13
Ken Harbart
Okay, I'll rehash this...Two wrongs don't make a right-especially when they create unnecessary work for me.

Chad, I have no problem with you posting rebuttals to Seamus, so long as they don't contain profanity or an obvious attempt to circumvent the language filter. (hint: shamea$$). This is the sole reason that your previous rebuttal was deleted. That being said, you are free to repost a reply that conveys the same sentiment, sans the aforementioned faux pas.

Had Seamus' reply contained similar language, it would have been deleted as well.

Old 09-01-2003, 10:19 PM   #14
WebSlave
I am backing up Ken in this, fellas, so play nicely, please. I don't have the time to play umpire, so if you fail to heed Ken's warning, I will simply assess warning points and delete the entire thread.

Old 09-01-2003, 10:39 PM   #15
Shaun Roberson
Re: is that fair?

Quote:
Originally posted by diablohogs
well
2. a nice looking anery also has no brown... i s'pose thats because it to is a hypomelanistic despite the fact that it is only showing melanin pigment? (dripping with sarcasm)

in other words anery is the retardation of red and brown pigment (type A) hypomelanistic is the retardation of melanin (black pigment). admitingly thier are examples out thier of snakes that don't have brown or black but than again you need to ask yourself...did the snake have any brown pigment to begin with?

Not exactly, the brown is a combination of the red and black pigment. Hence, an anery has no brown because the red is gone and only the black remains. Now, of course hypos retain SOME melanin, so they have varying amounts of subdued black/brown coloration. As I said before, breeding 2 generations is the only way to know for sure whether this is a genetic color mutation or just an odd variant.

Old 09-02-2003, 12:26 AM   #16
diablo snakefarm
I agree I dont like seamus as much as the next guy but I refuse to even answer his random ramblings.Keep reptiles here and mabe you and seamus can meet up and have it out somewhere else..

Jeremiah Ronsonet
Diablo Snake Farm

Old 09-02-2003, 03:26 AM   #17
diablohogs
Talking i digress

yeah true... i'll just ignore the guy.

thanks shaun that makes perfect sense to me. the pattern is like a reddish orange which is why i assumed it may be some form of hypo. red and yellow pigment with reduced black to where it would create a light reddish brown...no? look at the eye band and the color of the belly... it's pink and no black checkering whatsoever on the sides of the belly.

all i will learn from breeding it true by breeding the heterozygous offspring to the father is that it is a double recesive gene, given it only shows in around 50% of the offspring from the heterozygous to homozygous breeding, but that doesn't pinpoint the mutation, just that it is a double recesive gene. i wonder if thier is a more scientific way to understand the pattern mutation that our herps create/inherit. maybe if you preformed mitochondrial d.n.a. analysis on a normal example versus an example that is homozygous for the mutation you could than compare the two side by side.....

if only someone out thier with access to the proper equiptment would preform such experiments or offer such a service to the breeding/collecting public, so people out there could find out for sure if thier animal is a pure amelinistic alterna that way when one is finally obtained that is pure alterna that person won't get laughed off the planet. we would at least be able to classify the different mutations better. don't they already perform similar tests on birds for breeding?

Old 09-04-2003, 01:44 AM   #18
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Melanin is the pigment which produces the visual effects of both black AND BROWN.

As I said... no understanding of ANYTHING herp related. I mean NONE, this sort of thing is covered in junior high school biology classes Chad, you really are one of the most ignorant individuals I have ever had the displeasure to "meet" on a forum.

Incidentally... having seen the picture of your massive movie theater screen sized forehead I really have to wonder... How many chromosones have you got exactly? Having a couple extra would explain both your obviously deformed physical features and your apparant mental deficiencies. Kind of an excuse if you will for your inability to function on a normal level (mentally of course).

Old 09-04-2003, 03:03 AM   #19
diablohogs
Thumbs down good one

you seen my reply and it took you 3 days (at least) to repond. i'm actually shocked you went to jr. high. wonders never cease. anyhow like i said this is not the place to "fight" it out. i'm here strictly to use the forum for what its intended for. you... other than to try to improve you're own self esteem, have no place here. the whole brown comment was a good one though... except someone already pointed that out.

c'mon now seamus, your mom likes my forehead. she says it makes me look like a young don johnson.

so, omnipotent one, what caused a pacific gopher to change from a green/brown patterned snake with black spots along the side of its belly to a snake with orange pattern and pink spots along the sides of the belly. couldn't be a obvious lack of melanin right or did you forget that hypo means reduced? guess they didn't teach you that in your class cool guy. maybe you were to busy calling the teacher an idiot to listen. once again hop on over to richard evans website... here lemme help you... West Texas Reptiles now look at all the pretty pictures of western hognose he has. see the ones labeled hypo... course you do cause you're really smart and stuff. now look at the picture... oh no i mean the big one...you'll have to click on the little picture to see it, there you go!! hey wait... it has brown... that can't be....

can anyone post a picture of a hypomelanistic pacific gopher or any hypo pituophis so i can compare the two? thanks in advance.

p.s. all do respect to the webmaster/moderater but that was within the guidlines right? at least i didn't cuss this time....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!