eggs! and also Help! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-14-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
Playnwifsnot
eggs! and also Help!

Well about a month ago I introduced Olivia to Scarface and they were doing the jungle love. I took her out a week and a half ago/2 weeks ago as I figured she was by now gravid(they were like little rabbits!) and I figured she was getting annoyed with him by now. So I set her back up in with the other girls, she seemed quite happy to be back, her and Sunflower really like eachother and are always next to one another in the mornings. So I placed a egg laying box in their tank so when she was ready, she could lay, as when I returned her to the girls tank,she was getting pretty heavy. Yesterday I looked at her and told her she looked like she was going to exploid. Well today after getting home from work, the first thing I do is take off my shoes, the next is mist the geckos before I shower. Finishing Scarfaces tank moving over to the girls, I happened to look down inside the egg box and noticed Olivia's two prefect little eggs....awww! But Stupid me I didnt have the incubator up and running, I had planned on doing that tomorrow as I would be home half of the day, I could keep my eye and adjust its temp. Now the question is, do you think they will be ok overnight in the tank in the lay box? I cant seem to get the incubators temps down far enough, I mean I will continue to check it hourly to see if I can get lower,but at the moment it is in the mid 80's and has been since 5:30 this afternoon(its now 8). I just dont want to put them in at such a high temp, I know their eggs dont tolerate that temp.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
garweft
What kind of gecko are you breeding?

If they are cresteds, I would just set them up at room temperature and leave them alone. You don't need an incubator.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:35 PM   #3
ColleenT
yes cresteds don't need heat, just moist. not wet, but some moisture. mark the top of each egg in case of a tumble, and you can use perlite, verm., or Aquatic pond soil( works the best for me). good luck. first eggs from a female are sometimes not going to hatch, so if they are her first, don't be disappointed, just wait another 35-40 days for the 2nd clutch.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:16 AM   #4
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

Melissa, those eggs will be fine at room temp while your fine tuning the incubator. I like to incubate crestie eggs at around 78* a little either way is good also.

And we demand baby pictures when they hatch.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
Playnwifsnot
Well before I went to work this mornign I popped my digital thermometer into my incubator...weird the digital thermometer says it is 74(which I have my thermomstate set at like 74ish) but the merc thermometer inside the incubator reads mid 80's.....weird huh?

I will try incubating outside the incubator if some of ya'll do fine with it, my room tends to stay around 72-74 degrees as is. I incubated some chameleon eggs that way as they incubated best at like 72 degrees. I have a small deli style cup I was going to move the eggs into. The egg laying substrate I used was actually hermit crab soil, which is made of extreamly fine filtered peat moss, which is what I use for my beardies. any other suggestions I would be greatful.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
Ed Clark
Is that a hovabater your using, and are you talking about the thermometer that comes with it? I would put my trust in the digital thermo. and try and incubate those eggs at least 76*

Old 04-15-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
garweft
If you put the egg container up high in the room, and away from any exterior walls, it is usually warm enough to incubate them fine. My room temps are around 70-72, and on top of my racks it is around 74-76. It takes a little longer to hatch them out at cooler temps, but it still gets the job done.

Incubators are nice during the winter and early spring, but once summer comes you'll be looking for the A/C.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:05 PM   #8
ColleenT
warmer temps have been rumored to produce male Cresteds. i don't have any proof that it is true, but some breeders told me they have more females at lower temps. i think at 78, the eggs would cook! 74 is warm IMO. room temps are best for me. i have had great luck.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
garweft
What's wrong with males?? I'm a guy and think that were just fine.

TSD in cresteds is thought to be about 60% at best. That is you can get about 60% females at lower temps, and 60% males at higher temps. Either way, you can't get the reliable temperature sexing that is possible in Leo's for example. I would rather settle for a 50/50 mix and play it safe than incubate at the extreme minimum trying for 60% females.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #10
Playnwifsnot
Well right now I have them ontop of my entertainment center which is kinda in the middle of the room(you have to see my bedroom to understand). I could move them to a cabinate up above one of my beardie tanks except I am afraid it might be to warm up there, other than that, I have nowhere else to store the eggs unless I pop them in the uncubator witout it turned on. And my incubator is a hovabater which as worked well in the past with me with my beardie,leo and turtle eggs. Even if this is her first batch and it could be a dud, still want to give it my all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!