Helix DBS-1000 doesn't keep temps - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
stevek123
Helix DBS-1000 doesn't keep temps

So all of a sudden my helix is running hot. Doesn't keep temps stable. I feel lucky to have noticed in time. I could have lost over 20 snakes. So I had it shut off all night, set it up to test and set the temp at 85. I decided to unplug it at 98 degrees. Thoughts? Is it the probe? is the probe replaceable. How would i know if it is the probe?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
EDGARFL
Contact Helix controls. They helped me out when I was having issues with my thermostat. I sent it in and they fixed the issues and replaced the cord at no cost to me. They have great customer service.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
stevek123
You are right, I contacted them right after posting this, and Jeff said if I pay for shipping both ways they will repair and upgrade free of charge.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
stevek123
And he thinks it's a faulty internal switch. Jeff said if the prob was faulty the probe would not read the heat spike. Makes sense.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
SpitZu
That is some scary business. That is why thermostats should be plugged into a backup tstat that will turn everything off if it starts getting hotter than intended.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
dvangorp
I had the same thing happen last year on the incubator ... cooked everything in it. Have replaced all Helix with Herpstats now. The nice thing with the Herpstat is you can see the 'power on percentage' which should give a visual warning if something sticks on. Knock on wood.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Reptile Frenzy
Hope we never have issues with our helix thermostats.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
dvangorp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitZu View Post
That is why thermostats should be plugged into a backup tstat that will turn everything off if it starts getting hotter than intended.

tstat's are either ON or OFF .. heating or not heating.

proportional units (helix, herpstat, etc) vary the amount of power going to the heat strips.

With the helix the only indicator is that the unit is heating or not. It could be at 5% or 100%.

With the herpstat you see the actually percentage of power. If the unit is running at 100% constantly there could be a problem with the unit.

Additionally, I now keep 3 thermometers in the incubator. Each rack also has a thermometer in one of the bins.

Accidents/failures can still happen. So keep a close eye on things.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
dvangorp
should add:

tstats fail in the OFF position == 'no heat'.
proportionals fail in the ON position == "full blast"

Old 09-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
stevek123
the newer herpstats have a safety feature that you can set to kill power if a certain high or low temp is reached.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!