cold BP in the mail. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
stevek123
cold BP in the mail.

Just opened an overnight parcel and the breeder did not include a heat pack. Lows here were in the low 40's and the BP temped at 63 degrees off my PE-1.
My question is should I be worried about RI setting in or not. He will be in q/t of course but along side of another bp I received the same day (that had a heat pack). Should I quarantine him in a different area or am I overly exaggerating/concerned here.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
pythons&falcons
Hmmm.....63 degrees is pretty cool, but a short duration of cold (i.e. a few hours) should not induce an RI if it is a healthy baby IMO. It was shipped overnight delivery so it could not have been cold for too long. I used to keep my bps and my boa outside and one weekend when I was away in January the power went out. I live in north florida but still, the lows were in the 40s for the whole weekend and when I came home all the snakes were practically frozen. I warmed them up gradually and left the temp slightly higher than average for about a week following, and none developed an RI. I'd put him in your Q/T area and crank the heat tape up an extra couple degrees :-)

Old 09-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
ClarkT
It shouldn't have any issues if it was already healthy.

Shipping at this time of year poses a dilemma in my mind, too. Where I am, it can be 89 deg. in the afternoon while the snake rides around in the truck on its way to the airport. Then, where I'm shipping to may have lows in the mid 40s... A heat pack would overheat the snake for the afternoon...but it may get a bit cold. I'd probably opt to not put the heat pack in, too.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
stevek123
Thanks Summer and Clark. The breeder also felt is was a long shot if RI developed seeing it was only a few hours.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
pythons&falcons
I actually second Clark, as well as the breeder, on the decision to not include the heat pack......overheating is a faster killer than underheating. Best to risk the later!

Old 09-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
RoyalPythonPros
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkT View Post
It shouldn't have any issues if it was already healthy.

Shipping at this time of year poses a dilemma in my mind, too. Where I am, it can be 89 deg. in the afternoon while the snake rides around in the truck on its way to the airport. Then, where I'm shipping to may have lows in the mid 40s... A heat pack would overheat the snake for the afternoon...but it may get a bit cold. I'd probably opt to not put the heat pack in, too.
I completely agree. In NY we've been having some crazy weather too. It has been in the 80's during the day and the low 40's at night. Last week we even had a day hit 94 and that night had a low of 44.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
Caveman
I had a similar problem, but it wasn't the breeders fault it was FedEx's. About ten years ago I had a pair of baby leopard geckos delivered in the winter, it was in the 40's. I live in ny, and at that time I lived in an Apartment building. Well FedEx decided to just leave the box outside in the front of my building. Didn't even buzz my doorbell. The box was labeled must sign. I was home I took the day off of work to receive the package. Thank god my brother stopped by for lunch and saw the box but by that time it was after 1 in the after noon, so the box was probably out there for about three hours. The geckos were stiff like dead bugs but alive, I put them on there backs and they wouldn't even try to roll over. They survived.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
stevek123
so far so good, the mystic ate yesterday so that's a good sign.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
snakesRkewl
I'd be pissed if someone shipped a snake to me without a heat pack and it was in the 40's on my end.
That's just stupid.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
Focal
In situations like this, you can throttle a heat pack by wrapping it and reducing oxygen exposure. I wouldn't recommend this without playing around with a few heat packs first. Also, my hub, and maybe others, will take shipments until 7 or 8pm. With a delivery of 1030am, it won't see much afternoon heat. Also, I have been told that it can get even colder in some planes during transit. Just make sure you secure the heat to the lid so it's not laying on the snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!