Skinny/Malnourished Red Ackie - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
SJdport57
Skinny/Malnourished Red Ackie

Four weeks ago I purchased an adult red ackie male via FaunaClassifieds. The seller had explained he was thin but that he had always been a social lizard and a ravenous feeder. When I got him he was indeed skinny for an ackie but I figured I could fatten him up easily enough. He is in a 75 gallon aquarium with 15" of soil, with a slate basking platform marked at 147 degrees. Unfortunately he has been incredibly difficult to feed. I've tried crickets (which he vomited back up), superworms(ate at first now he ignores them) frozen fuzzies(ate two and now refuses), earthworms(ignores), and dubias (will eat medium one per day). I finally got him to eat a live fuzzy last Friday but now he won't eat anything. I can see his pelvis and I'm worried. Should I tried panacure or flagyl for parasites? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  93.7 KB

Old 09-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
gila7150
It's always best to see a vet if you have a qualified reptile vet near you (they are few and far between). If that's not possible, I would try Panacur and Flagyl if you have it. (If you can get a fecal done first that would be best.)

I use the following doses:
Panacur 50-100mg/kg every 2 weeks for 2-3 treatments.
Flagyl 50mg/kg every 2 weeks for 2-3 treatments

There are other conditions that can cause the symptoms you are describing including a bacterial infection, cryptosporidia, etc.

Be sure to keep your ackie in strict quarantine from your other reptiles. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
gila7150
If he does have internal parasites you're going to need to change out the soil and decon his cage during his treatment to prevent him from being re-infected.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
SJdport57
Thank you gila7150, I'm gonna bring him to a recommended reptile vet if he doesn't improve in the next few weeks. Until then, Im going to raise the ambient temp and keep offering food.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ackie