At what age should baby bearded dragons be seperated? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-21-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
AxelMyBaby
At what age should baby bearded dragons be seperated?

Maybe a question for breeders of for people who have been interested and studied breeding; but how long can you keep babies together? What is the limit?

Thank you,

Axel's Momma
aka
Breawna

Old 05-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

I am not a breeder so you are probably going to get several different answers.
I don't recommend keeping more than a group of 4 babies together, but alot of breeders do keep 8 together. Once they get to around 8 inches, I would separate into groups of 4, & then when they hit 12 inches, they should be alone. That is to save space I suppose. If you have enough space to house more separately, that is great.
It is imperative that the males & females are separated as well as the males as they do not do well housed together at all. They will breed way too early & the males will fight.

Tracie

Old 05-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
WestExHerps
I am sure everyone does this differently. That being said, I'll create an example. Suppose you have twenty babies hatch out. I then separate them into two groups of ten when taken out of the incubator.
As they begin to eat on their own, they are separated again into different containers. At this point I would have two containers of babies not yet eating, and two containers of babies that are eating.
Once they are all eating, they are separated in to five, five, five, and five. At this stage it is important to be vigilant, any babies that seem to be getting bigger than the others are again separated to make sure that toes and tails stay in tact. And also to insure that you don't end up with one dominant baby eating all the food.
I just keep going by this system until they are sold. With some clutches I'll have babies in just a few containers, others they would be in five or more.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:57 AM   #4
AxelMyBaby
Thanks you two!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!