Need help on my setup - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-07-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
DontShootMe
Need help on my setup

Ok purchasing a new beardie. First one in about 8 years. Alot has changed since I owned a beardie. Now I see incandescent UV bulbs and everything. I am getting a baby one. Putting him in a 20gal long. Paper towel substrate and a branch and maybe a rock under where the basking heat lamp will be. Now this is the thing I want to get the UV bulbs there are two The zoo med compact and the repti-glo compact UV coil both 10.0 which one do you think I should go with? Or is there a better incandescent UV bulb? Now I understand these don't give off heat so I would have to buy an additional heating unit. So I figure a 40 watt heat bulb would be good enough for him. So any advice would be great.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
Valley Dragons
I like the Zoo Med 10.0 bulbs. And yes, you will need the seperate basking bulb. Something in a reflector hood would work. I just use a regular household bulb (25 watt - 100 watt depending on the temp I need). Some people prefer to get a basking bulb with UVA. It is up to you. Your basic set-up sounds fine - simple and easy to clean.

Jamie

Old 06-08-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
Robust_Beardies
Say no to compact!!!

From what we have seen and heard from others, the compact UVB bulbs are horrible for dragons. They really hurt the dragons eyes, causing the dragon to either keep their eyes shut or hide from the light altogether! Don't waste the money on the compact UVB, just get the standard fluorescent bulb. We recommend the Zoo Med 10.0 and get the proper fixture that fits the full length of the cage. These light up the whole cage and also give off UVB everywhere the dragon goes in the cage, not just in one area.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #4
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

I completely agree. Those coil & compact lights are horrible in the manner that they refract the UVB's down onto them. It causes corneal irritation as well. Plus, the UVB output really isn't good at all, & any it does have quickly diminishes within the 150 hour burntime.
Definitely go with the tube bulb if you are going to go with reptisun 10.
Good luck. Let us know how things are coming along.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!