GTP help please look.. Anal glad hanging out - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #11
yeloowtang
dohh !! i missed that Vance.. yep that is correct.. most will go mice for life.. I myself have fed them mice and some on rats, but the ones i feed rats too always get smaller than their widest grit and ONLY 1, rats have more fat in them and bigger bones so care is a must....

i have a two year old and she eats 1 small pup every 7 to 10 days, grows nicely and never ever had a prolaps with any GTP

OP you really have to change your way of feeding these snakes, small prey and less often.
power feeding any snake is a bad idea and doing it with a GTP !!! well you get what you got,
you were lucky to notice it as the problem could have been way worst..

hard to tell by looking at the pictures, but from what i can tell, the size of this little guy, he should be eating 1 fuzy mice or a small pinky rat or at the most a small fuzy rat but only if it's size allows it.. but absolutely not a pup let alone 2 of them you were lucky it didn't compact itself or have a much more sever prolapse..

best of luck

Old 10-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #12
EmeraldBoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloowtang View Post
dohh !! i missed that Vance.. yep that is correct.. most will go mice for life.. I myself have fed them mice and some on rats, but the ones i feed rats too always get smaller than their widest grit and ONLY 1, rats have more fat in them and bigger bones so care is a must....

i have a two year old and she eats 1 small pup every 7 to 10 days, grows nicely and never ever had a prolaps with any GTP

OP you really have to change your way of feeding these snakes, small prey and less often.
power feeding any snake is a bad idea and doing it with a GTP !!! well you get what you got,
you were lucky to notice it as the problem could have been way worst..

hard to tell by looking at the pictures, but from what i can tell, the size of this little guy, he should be eating 1 fuzy mice or a small pinky rat or at the most a small fuzy rat but only if it's size allows it.. but absolutely not a pup let alone 2 of them you were lucky it didn't compact itself or have a much more sever prolapse..

best of luck
I missed it the first time as well haha. I do not agree with feeding rats to adults (I have a large biak gal doing fine on adult mice every 10 days or so, with a jumbo thrown in here and there for calories); however, there are a few people that have had success doing it, it's a call you have to make on your own I guess.

Definitely a small hopper, peach, or LG pink mouse is best here; however, I still want to know how often misting is occurring. I think we sometimes forget how important proper hydration is to digestion and passing waste successfully.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #13
EmeraldBoid
Hopper and pinkie next to a quarter.Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1412814455939.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  76.2 KB

Old 10-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #14
EmeraldBoid
Sorry about the mess, I keep the freezer in the laundry room haha.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #15
yeloowtang
:-D i had to get my own bar freezer to keep in my snake room because the wife did not like me keeping rodents next to our food hahaha

but yeah, i agree that mice are best, the only reason i feed rats is from GTPs losing interest in mice, refusing to even look at them... so i tried with rats of smaller size, they went for them right away.. the issue with rats is like i said earlier, more fat, bigger bones and i've read the fur is harder to digest.
same thing happen with this 2 year old i have, started her on pinky mice, moved to crawlers then she ignored them.. tried a pinky rat and she ate it...but she must have been 1 year old before she ate a rat.
i should try to switch her , must say that i feed them smaller and only every 7-10 days .
when i say smaller,the rat is smaller than what a mouse would be..

i agree,hydration is often overlooked access to fresh water and misting is an absolute must..
misting the snake itself is also important, they will drink the water drops off their bodies, heck mine even goes for a swim at night sometimes

hope the OP will give more details and updates..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!