Albino Boa disorders - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
chevyjam2001
Albino Boa disorders

I picked up an albino boa a week ago from another member on this site. I just found an old post of his in which he states the snake has a neurological disorder. When I asked about this since it wasn't disclosed up front I am being told that it is a common occurence in albinos and he has had it since birth. He has compared it to the wobble/spin in ball pythons (which I am not familiar with). My concern is that it will make his behavior/reactions unpredictable. (I have kids) Will it affect his ability to breed/do I even want to risk breeding him. I was told that it is not genetic because neither parent is affected but how can I know for sure? I guess my question is, are these type of neurological disorders really that common in albinos?

Old 05-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
gsrept
First of all what are the symptoms of his disorder. if a boa is or looks like he is star gazing it is probably IBD. albino boas to my knowledge do not express it like a spider ball. mostof the problems assosiated withalbinos are bug eyes smaller lower jaws than normal, kinking, ythere are a few others i have never seen an albino with a nerological problem, could it happen i suppose if there was a lot of inbreeding. i do not know where you bought it from but if they did not disclose that it had a problem that is not ok. any pics of said issue would be helpful also.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
chevyjam2001
There really isn't anything that would show up in a pic. His behavior is just "off" a bit. I thought something was up when he missed the rat 4 times when I fed him on Monday. It was a f/t rat by the way. The best way I can describe it is he will not fully stretch out. He will turn to one side until he is completely turned 360 degrees then he will turn completely around to the other side. It is kind of hard to describe but that is the best way I can think of.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
Shadera
Yes, it happens with albinos, but it's not one of those things that every albino has. If that wasn't disclosed up front, your seller was incredibly dishonest with you.

I have several albinos from both boa strains, none of them display any issues.

Boas with issues shouldn't be added to the gene pool. Yet another reason why your seller should have told you that up front.

Are they offering any kind of compensation? Taking the snake back, etc?

Old 05-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
Twizted Paths
I've never seen one with wobbles like the spider balls

I don't believe in breeding defective animals, why make more?

The question about it's temperament can't really be answered on a forum. We don't know enough about neurological disorders in snakes to make that call. It depends on the snake itself, your husbandry & handling practices.

It could well turn out to be an awesome pet only snake, I never heard of temperament problems in spider balls. I don't follow BP's like boas though either.

If you bought it as a 100% healthy breeder you got ripped though. Known issues should be disclosed before the sale, not when you open the box.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
Twizted Paths
To clarify ~ any snake can be born with issues. I haven't heard of it being tied to albino boas the way the eye issues have been.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
gsrept
also i believe you are more apt to have problems when you breed albino to albino than het to het i would definatly be contacting the seller looking for a refund and ship it back at owners expense, if shipping is involved. good luck

Old 05-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
chevyjam2001
I got the "I thought I had told you". So far no offer to take him back. I agree with magickal that a snake with "issues" shouldn't be bred and added to the gene pool. The seller says that it will not affect the offspring but no one can be 100% certain of that and I would rather not take the chance.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
gsrept
if you are going to breed albinos you are asking for trouble to do it with a albino that already has issues, gives you a better shot at producing deformed babies or worse.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
brd7666
I agree with the others, you got ripped off. I would explain to the seller that you may be forced to take it to the BOI if some form of compensation is not done, even if it means returning the snake for a full refund. I have had a bunch of albinos and never seen this issue. Good luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!