Live vs Frozen POLL - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

View Poll Results: Live vs Frozen Poll
I feed live only! 12 13.19%
I feed Frozen only! 35 38.46%
I feed both and see a need for both Methods! 44 48.35%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #31
ReptileRescueIndiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by frillielover17 View Post
I may not own a snake but in the past I have worked with them and other reptiles like tegus, monitors, gators and caimen that ate small mammals. I fed both F/T/prekilled and live. What made me choose which to use was the size of the prey. I don't like putting large prey in with the animal because of the risk of the food fighting back and causing harm. Smaller prey like pinky mice or fuzzy mice where the threat is minimal I chose to feed live. Of course there were times where I had to feed larger live prey but only because the animal refused dead prey. I tried my best to make the dead prey appear as if it were moving by wiggling it around on tongs.

Personally I don't care how others feed, it's their choice. As long as you feed appropriate prey and do it to feed your animal with the best intentions I don't mind. It's the people who are sick minded and just take a random live animal and throw it in the cage with their pet just to see it get killed that bothers me.
I agree with you on the part where you said you dont like the idea of sick individuals feeding live prey just to see the kill.. I wish from the bottom of my heart that all our snakes would eat F/T full time. But I do have a couple "older" snakes that are set in their ways & absolutely flat out refuse to eat f/t . As a matter of fact, even with the "set" snakes, we have TRIED & TRIED to get them switched over w/ no success. All of our snakes are fed appropriately sized feeders as are the baby gators.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:41 AM   #32
HyderHouseHerps
I actually have a few snakes that will only eat dead things and I love that because then I don't worry I can just toss the food in and come back later. However, live is so convenient and once i am producing enough feeders to go around I will have to start prekilling for them. For whoever was talking about having to buy F/T, you could prekill and freeze too and it would save you some $$

Old 05-20-2010, 04:35 AM   #33
jeffwyatt81
I chose frozen on the pole as I try to feed strictly frozen, mostly to prevent injury and the chance of parisites as I have no place to currently breed my own rodents and I have to purchase them from other sources. I do feed live to 2 of my snakes, a picky ball and my girls corn snake as they want nothing to do with a lifeless rodent, though defrosting all these frozen rodents is a pain in the A$$! Just my 2 cents.

Jeff Wyatt

Old 05-25-2010, 12:29 AM   #34
JDpythons
live!
more action lol

Old 05-25-2010, 01:44 AM   #35
Twizted Paths
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDpythons View Post
live!
more action lol
Yeah, sure. Nothing better then seeing that one in a million chance of the prey getting in that perfect split second bite through your snakes spine.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #36
ReptileRescueIndiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted Paths View Post
Yeah, sure. Nothing better then seeing that one in a million chance of the prey getting in that perfect split second bite through your snakes spine.
Couldnt have said it better myself. Even tho I have a few picky snakes that wont touch ANYTHING F/T or even on the spot killed & I have to feed them live feeders, I stay right there with them, grippers in hand in case they start trying to bite the snake.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #37
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted Paths View Post
So let's see, if it's a one in a million chance, and say you have 50 snakes that you feed once a week........
That means that would happen once every 384.6 years

Just sayin..............

Old 05-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #38
Twizted Paths
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport View Post
So let's see, if it's a one in a million chance, and say you have 50 snakes that you feed once a week........
That means that would happen once every 384.6 years

Just sayin..............
The red candoia in my photo album is dead because it happened to me recently. I was right there & there was nothing I could do fast enough.

Feeding live solely for personal enjoyment is not acceptable to me.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #39
AbsoluteApril
I really didn't want to get into this since Shawn requested this not turn into a discussion, but I've had rodent injure my snake before due to live feeding (back in '98 when I didn't know any better), and I was right there with them as it happened, thought i could 'pull the rodent off' or whatever, but there wasn't much I could do once the rat sunk it's teeth into the neck of my boa as she was constricting.

I also avoid feeding live anytime I can simply because I've had pet mice and rats before and I don't belive any animal should suffer.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #40
Twizted Paths
My apologies Shawn

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!