Scabbing Behind My Boas Eyes. HELP! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
AtrociousOne
Scabbing Behind My Boas Eyes. HELP!

ok, went to feed this guy today and noticed scabs, maybe rubbing? not sure why he would be rubbing, but i need some advice, and wondering if anyone has seen this before? he's caged in a 6FT by about 30 inches tall, but 2 ft deep. hot side is about 92 and cool side is about 84. UV bulb on 12 off 12. ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

here's his enclosure, i just pulled the paper out today, and those are stains on the floor. it's been cleaned throughout, and i would believe it's more than enough room to stop rubbing? maybe i'm wrong? it's 2 cages stacked. nothing in the bottom one but it has also been cleaned just to be safe.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
Twizted Paths
To much uv can cause issues, I'd turn it off for now.

Neosporin (without pain reliever) if the scabs are dry.

Pull the water bowl away from the wall, that way he's face doesn't get irritated trying to fit behind it.

Check the rest of him over really closely.

Your cage temps are a bit high to me.

Cage size is awesome, but I'd move out the other boa. Especially till this clears up.

Can he get at the lights to burn himself? It looks blister like in the pics.

And always... I'm not a vet & they should know best

Old 05-25-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
AtrociousOne
no, he can't burn himself, the water bowl is a good idea, the other boa is out right now, i've looked over the rest of him and don't see anything else, it's only by his eyes, but he does move quite a bit around the water bowl and that would make complete sense. i'm planning on getting him to the vet in the next few days, but i wanted to see if anyone has an idea

Old 05-25-2010, 12:39 AM   #4
Twizted Paths
Boas are masters at finding any place they can't possibly fit & trying to with absolute tenacity. Gotta love em

The vet comment wasn't a dig at you, just a general disclaimer for any noobs who wander through. Somebody always has to say it & I figured it was about my turn to

Old 05-25-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
AtrociousOne
nah i know, but i still wanna get it checked while i have the available cash lol, cuz ya never know, so yeah, disclaimer for noobs, always vet check if there's any uncertainty as to what something is.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
gsrept
i have seen similar once before a long time ago a friends snake and it was caused by mites. so check that with the dark colored wood they can be hard to see and sometimes equaly hard to see on boas. good luck hope you figure it out

Old 05-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
AtrociousOne
i took him into Safe Harbor today in Pensacola, FL, they said it just looked raw like he was rubbing, no mention of mites, and i haven't seen any. They gave me an antibiotic cream. But i'm not sure about putting it that close to his eyes.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
Twizted Paths
There are antibiotic ointments that are safe for eyes and are even prescribed to be used directly in the eye.

Run a quick search on it and you'll be able to pull up it's common uses. You may be able to call other vets' offices and just ask if it's safe for use on a snake's eye area.

I've used the neosporin near some of the rehabs I used to do's eyes without issue so you should be ok with a script from a herp vet. I use a q tip for application, it keeps finger germs out and gives you good control of where it goes.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
AtrociousOne
yeah, they assured me it would be fine. and i'm going to trust them. but yeah, definitely no direct contact. thanks

Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
crotalusadamanteus
You need to plug that hole in the back on the bottom right of the cage, and all other holes of similar size. That snake has been trying to force it's head through a hole, that it's head don't fit in. I've dealt with that before. He probably smells something interesting on the outside of the cage, or just knows it's "out" and is trying to get there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!