So might be starting my own business??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
XxBLUExX
So might be starting my own business???

I may be opening my own petstore one day!
I am over the top excited this is my dream job and my family is being really supportive.
Just one problamo, I have no clue on the rules and regulations or even permits for this in Kentucky.
It would be your run of the mill pet store, with supplies and a few different types of snakes, rodents and locals could bring their unwanted puppies and kittens.
Maybe birds, and fish, a spider or two and some other invertebrates.
Nothing dangerous or crazy lol.
So can someone who owns their own business give me some advice???
Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
XxBLUExX
We only have petco around here, and their prices are outrageous and their animals are usually skittish and aggressive, and their baby snakes are usually underfed because they want them to stay small, and it really bothers me how they house them in such stressful conditions, and for such high prices! 300 dollars for an underfed pastel ball python...oy!
I believe I could sell socialized healthy animals for a lower price and better service

Old 01-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #3
Big Borg Reptiles
I've never had a physical business as I've always ran things online, but the biggest issue is going to be startup cost. If you're looking for a physical location, you probably are going to need at least 20 grand just to get off the ground.

You also need to decide if you are going to be a sole proprietorship, partnership, llc, or corporation. I think the forms and requirements for each of these varies by state, but you can look them up online and see what each one entails, what the yearly fees are, etc. When you finish the necessary paperwork you will receive an EIN (employer identification number) that will allow you to do hiring if necessary as well as prepare tax information. Your state should have a website dedicated to setting up businesses, and they should be able to answer any detailed questions you have.

Owning your own business is very cool, there are just a lot of little details that go into setting it up and making sure it runs smoothly. Plan to be in the red for quite a while.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
Big Borg Reptiles
double post, ugh

Old 01-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #5
j_dunlavy
I did not own one, but worked at a pet shop for many years when I was young:
you may talk to your local animal control agency about rules and regs; in Cali they are the ones responsible for inspections related to permit renewals.
They could also point you in the direction of any other agencies that may be involved in that sector of business.
You may have the most regulations surrounding aquatics; they seemed to change the most and can be complex, depending on the state. Again, your local animal control could help you with this.

I would also suggest educating yourself on the business end of things: a lot of new business owners without much business background can get in over their heads quickly. Maybe even take a few business courses at your local college. (this is assuming you do not already have some foundation in business)

The other thing is, while I understand and appreciate the sentiment, opening yourself up to unwanted kittens and puppies from locals could end up being a HUGE can of worms; the number of unwanted cats and dogs out there is appalling to say the least, and you may find yourself overwhelmed very quickly. You may want to work closely with a shelter rather than take it on by yourself.

You may want to talk to Diana ( http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...er.php?u=52122 ); she has a small shop in Downtown San Jose (CA) and may be able to give you some advice. I'm sure there are other members with small scale brick and mortar businesses who can also help out, Diana is near where I live so she came to mind first.

We need more good "mom and pops" pet shops around, so by all means, follow your dreams, just make sure to educate yourself thoroughly prior to jumping in.

Best of luck

Old 01-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
Lucille
Rebekah

I am excited for you!!!!

My suggestions:

Totally agree with the suggestion to talk to Diana
Read up on what the Small Business Administration has to say, and see if you qualify for grants or other help.
Be willing to pay for help:
Pay your employees decently, and they are more likely to stick around and learn and help.
Have funds put aside for accountant and attorney consults
Be the person that other business owners like spending time with. If you find experienced breeders, shop owners, etc., take them out for dinner or invite them over for a home cooked meal. If they are having issues, for instance a truckload of supplies come in and their employee is ill, offer to pitch in and unload the truck. The advice you get in your hours of helping them is priceless, book learning just doesn't measure up to real life experience.
If everyone has fond thoughts of you and the way you have taken care of them, they may help when the inevitable Murphy's Law (if anything can go wrong it will go wrong) happens.
Stay away from drama in general and fb drama in particular. But even if you stay away from drama, be willing to stand up and do what is right.
Long before you open the door, develop a TOS to cover various exigencies, post it in the store and on the receipts.
Get everything in writing.
Be flexible, be happy, build good memories for yourself and those around you.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:12 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
All good advice above.

I wanted to add - A few of the reptile shop owners I'd spoken to over the years mentioned that they made the bulk of their profit on food - not just feeder animals and insects for reptiles but on Dog and Cat food so that is something to consider carrying.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old 01-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #8
XxBLUExX
First off, thank you everyone for helping out!!!
I planned on carrying supplies and food for the animals that I kept, and also a few brands of dog and cat foods, basically a pet Walmart, lol.
Thank you again everyone for the help, hopefully something can come of this, I will definitely keep everyone updated

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!